Which disassembler?

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
GONZO

Which disassembler?

Post by GONZO »

Which disassembler are you guys using?

I have been using the dewtronics disassembler and it has worked well for me, but I have run into problems with some later bins which have addresses bigger than 16 bits. :oops:

What are you guys using for these bins?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Which disassembler?

Post by antus »

The later bins pose quite a problem, as the processor is a 16bit processor and they have implemented bank switching. Therefore everything is addressed within 0000->FFFF but which part of the bin your looking at depends on the bank switching control. Im not sure the best way to handle it :( It might take a more advanced tool like ida pro and something written in its SDK to monitor the bank switching and add a 1 or a 2 to the front of the 16 bit addresses at decompile time, and some other tool to remove them again at recompile time. It ends up a bit like pushing sh*t uphill though as all the tools around assume a 16bit program and address space. That is not to say its impossible, though! To make matters worse the later hc11s have native bank switching, but it looks like its been done in a propriety way instead. Ive attached the layout of the rom / banks.
Attachments
vs_rom_map.txt
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yeah the bank switch is proving to be an issue, I understand what its doing and have used a normal disassembler (m6811dis) to get some info out of it but it reports heaps of errors. Have attached the bank switch code, in the memory map that antus posted the only part of the code that m6811dis touches is the 0x0000-0x7FFF but it also misses alot in there as it gets confused with some address references. A custom disassembler will prob be required.
Attachments
bank switch.txt
(551 Bytes) Downloaded 442 times
Aedakin
cars: 77 El Camino Classic
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

Sorry, I'm new to this. What are the assemblies/disassemblies about?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Aedakin wrote:Sorry, I'm new to this. What are the assemblies/disassemblies about?
No apology necessary ...

A Disassembly is the results of a Dissembler, A Dissembler takes a binary executable file (.exe for example) and Dissembles it into Assembly language typically, though some more modern dissemblers can also dissemble into other languages like C language for example.

For the purpose of reverse engineering programs.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!