Starting to disassemble Euro Bin

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: Starting to disassemble Euro Bin

Post by yoda69 »

d9 looks like a black/red wire that probably goes through the park/neutral inhibit switch and drives the starter motor as it is bypasses the auto circuits on a manual and also goes up to the ignition switch.
slewinson
cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

Makes sense that this will be the neutral signal, as the idle changes when going from park or neutral into gear. Thanks again.

I can only assume that you have access to factory manuals from the accuracy of information.

Simon
slewinson
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

Spent more time attacking the USB data stream and trying to map it back to logs from OPCOM. Found flags for DFCO and WOT enrichment after hours of attempting to sync up the low res CSV log with the USB packet capture. Once initialized, the dongle appears to spit out a data packet every 64mS. KW81 looks like a bitch to code directly as it needs to constantly reply to keep the connection alive. If it is like other KW variants, each byte sent needs to be replied to with the twos complement. :typist:

Tried customizing a copy of the FTDI driver for the OPCOM dongle VId/PID and talking direct. Got replies to the observed init strings but they were too short and garbage, and I suspect that SUDT Accessport does not allow a high enough baud rate. Any suggestions of another tool that allows custom baud rate without an upper limit?

Simon
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

i think speed would be unlikely to be the problem as the baud rate is virtual - the pc talks to the ftdi at usb speed, regardless of how it is set. the speed only really exists between the ftdi and its serial output.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
slewinson
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

antus wrote:i think speed would be unlikely to be the problem as the baud rate is virtual - the pc talks to the ftdi at usb speed, regardless of how it is set. the speed only really exists between the ftdi and its serial output.
Yep, but I think that the speed issue is between the FT232 and the PIC. Trying to fathom out the init sequence to see what the FT232 is set to.

Simon
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Simon,
If you do a search for TIS2000 you should be able to find a download, I'm using an old copy, V87 I think, but has most Opel stuff up to around 2007, including the wiring harnesses.
It's not the easiest thing to navigate, but once you get the hang of it it is extremely handy.
It's typically a 2-3Gbyte download from memory, so takes a while, especially at my connection speed.

yoda69
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

slewinson wrote: KW81 looks like a bitch to code directly as it needs to constantly reply to keep the connection alive. If it is like other KW variants, each byte sent needs to be replied to with the twos complement. :typist:
I feel your pain, the Motronic ECUs I play with use KWP71 which is even worse - downloading a 32k bin takes over 15 minutes :rant:
The baud rate isn't the biggest issue with speed - it's that *every* byte needs to be ACKed before the next one can be sent, and the ECU only processes one byte per loop... and the loop runs at 10ms intervals so increasing the baud rate only means more silence between each byte :(
There's also the keepalive message headache, and every packet has to have a correct sequence ID... these protocols were never designed for anything heavier than sensor/DTC reading :(

I wrote a KWP71 plug-in for TP that uses a 'dumb' KKL cable, and I started on a KWP81 version but never got an opportunity to test it. Let me know if you want to give it a try...
slewinson
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

Festy, I would kill for the chance to try and get it working with your assistance. I also have a spare ECU that I am going to get setup on the bench to make things easier. I will also post my latest disassembly and XDF for you to have a look at. I have got most of the serial routines identified but not fully commented or understood yet.

Do you have any doco on the KW81 protocol? I have not found anything yet.

Looking forward to getting this talking so I can troubleshoot and log better.

Simon
festy

Post by festy »

I have some rather sketchy details on the protocol, but nothing concrete.
I've sent you a PM with a couple of KWP81 tools to try out.
festy

Post by festy »

Do you have a comms capture log starting from the ECU wakeup?
I've written a stream processor for translating raw logic analyser serial captures into structured KWP71 conversations, so would be interested in having a go at a KWP81 session too.