How to create xdf adx etc?

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

How to create xdf adx etc?

Post by MAGP »

What's the process involved in creating xdf adx etc files to use in Tunerpro? Is there are tutorial somewhere to do this?
I know there is an xdf creator program available on ecu connections, I have it, but apparently it only works with 8 bit bins.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: How to create xdf adx etc?

Post by antus »

Unfortunately this cant be done automatically. You need to come up with a way to figure out the details and then need to painstakingly by hand edit the xdf or adx in tunerpro and define everything. Some PCM types have particular header data which automatic tools can use to infer information about the bin, but not the delco ones.

The starting point can be a similar model xdf or adx (if you do this its proper to credit the author of the original def that you base yours on), for an adx this can give you a starting point of the right connection macros and for both the right kind of definition structure.

For ADX files you might do something like log the car at idle while running a serial port monitor to watch the data going in to tuner pro, then do something like hold the revs at 2000 for a few seconds then back to idle. Then look at the raw data and find the biggest changes. Thats probably your RPM. Then configure that item in TP, and use the same RPM equation from your base ADX. Set alarm values, set the bubble tracing if you wish, etc etc. Repeat for all items you wish to log and as many as you can in the stream. Volts should be findable as lower with engine stopped and higher with engine running but should not change much with revs etc etc etc.

If your in to software and have another tool such as a factory tool you might write ecu simulator software and generate a particular (known real but with no detail) frame over and over to the tool, and once its displaying that 'snapshot' data change just one byte and see what changes in the tool. Map it and repeat and you should be able to figure out what every byte, group of bytes and bit is. Write the ADX from there.

For XDF its the same sort of situation. You might want to find the tables by eye and have the skills to identify by sight alone, or you might have another tool and you can edit and compare the bin before and after to map out what is where. The hardest way is to disassemble the code and figure out how it works. This is quite difficult and not recommended but if your the right type of person and can do this, go for it! As items are identified edit by hand in to the xdf. You'll usually need to figure out and configure any checksums too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

I'm a little lost in that I don't understand how something can be logged in TP if there isn't an xdf and/or adx available when starting from scratch. Isn't an adx the file required for logging?

I've been reading through the forum and see some people have test benches that mimic engines, I am interested in setting up something like that if that would help to make these files. I'll do some research and see how I can make one.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ok, so say the first step is to identify the family of pcm. So your first assumption is likely (on these forums) that it talks 8192 baud ALDL, and has one of the common device IDs on the bus. If you want to know about ALDL do some searching there are some detailed articles on this site mostly from our early days back around 2009 (jump to the oldest search results). A shortcut to avoid this guesswork might be to use the delco flash tool and hit connect and see what it says. Then look at the log window and determine that its, say, device F5 on the ALDL data bus. Then pick an ADX for another PCM that is device F5 of about the same era. Use that ADX to get data flowing. With any luck you'll get some data returned from the computer. Now your at that point, return to what I wrote above. If you dont get data, its a combination of educated guesses and trial and error.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
PeterTremonti
cars: 2005 Suburban 1500 LT 5.3 Flex Fuel
2003 Suburban 1500 LT 5.3 Flex Fuel Parts motor
2001 Yukon XL Denali 1500 6.0L

Post by PeterTremonti »

I know this is an old thread, but I've just downloaded the "xdf creator" from ECUconnections.com. I have no idea what to do with the parameters or the 3 ECM choices as they don't make sense to me yet. I'm still trying to figure that out but punching in random numbers doesn't seem to do anything for me yet. Onto the next issue.

I found the button to look at 2D and 3D maps in TunerPro and started seeing some patterns in the bin I've pulled out of my stock 2003 Suburban 5.3 Flex Fuel. What I could use some pointers on is the rows and columns. It defaults to 10 rows x 10 columns and gives choices for 8 bit, 16 bit, and 32 bit.

I don't mind going address by address to look for patterns and set up some fake sensors to make changes while this thing is hooked up on a bench. Like I said, I'm just starting to do anything like this and could use some pointers.

Here's the Bin I've downloaded and a picture of the PCM.

If anybody has tips on decoding the sticker I'd appreciate it. I keep hearing about Service numbers and OS numbers and they don't seem to be the same thing. I also would like to know some more about that. So far I've seen that the same OS can be on multiple different Service number PCMs and don't yet understand the specifics.

Any pointers would be helpful. I've spent the last day searching for info and this is what I've learned. Telling me to search wouldn't help unless you have a specific term to search for that might be helpful.

Rambling complete.
Available tools:
VCX Nano GM wifi (VXDIAG NANO-PLUS-V1.2 2020.10) (STM32F407 VTG6 ARM brand processor)
VAS 6154 Clone (VW6154-V1.0 1850) Looks like the VCX Nano but not as complicated.
Mongoose ISO/CAN
VAGcom HEX+CAN (HC8198369 Rev. B)
Maxidas DS708