GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Tre-Cool »

so would it be possible to copy the security stuff from 1 pcm to another but keep the existing OS on the new ecu. i.e OS upgrade.

my brother has an 07 ve so it has the 64lb injector limit. I've put in a newer ecu to test that i could at least fire it up and it did and apart from security issue due to vats being disabled, the only issues it had was different sensor type for the brake or clutch. cant remember which exactly as it was like 3 years ago when i did this testing.

Could be a small upgrade for those who have the pre 09 model ve's with the injector scaling issue, also corvette's too (have a mate with one that is also limited).
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

In-Tech wrote:Just fyi, it doesn't install on winXP 32. https://www.envyouscustoms.com/computer-requirements/
Ah yes, Im using framework 4.6.1 which is not supported on windows XP.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Tre-Cool wrote:so would it be possible to copy the security stuff from 1 pcm to another but keep the existing OS on the new ecu. i.e OS upgrade.

my brother has an 07 ve so it has the 64lb injector limit. I've put in a newer ecu to test that i could at least fire it up and it did and apart from security issue due to vats being disabled, the only issues it had was different sensor type for the brake or clutch. cant remember which exactly as it was like 3 years ago when i did this testing.

Could be a small upgrade for those who have the pre 09 model ve's with the injector scaling issue, also corvette's too (have a mate with one that is also limited).
Yeah should be. I havent tried but copying the parameter block should do the job.

Realistically, only need to write just the parameter block, which would take all of a few seconds to complete.

I was thinking of adding something like that to remove tunerlock/change param block stuff so a full clone is not required.

Currently you need to do a full clone, which literally erases the entire ecu and then writes it.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Tazzi wrote:
In-Tech wrote:Just fyi, it doesn't install on winXP 32. https://www.envyouscustoms.com/computer-requirements/
Ah yes, Im using framework 4.6.1 which is not supported on windows XP.
Hi Tazzi,
Thanks for the new file(release 2). I installed the first release on Win7 machine and was waiting for activation license. Do I need to uninstall or just write over the initial install or do you want me to test?

Yes, a parameters write only might be nice for tuner locked crap so you don't have to write the entire, might only be safer when doing in car programming vs bench. Also curious(haven't tried the software yet) when it a read is done does it also get module's 7 and 8(slave and pedal stuff I think) so a full clone is accomplished? I'm sure this question will be answered the first time I try but since I will wait to hear back about install over the initial release, I thought I would ask. :thumbup:
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

In-Tech wrote: Hi Tazzi,
Thanks for the new file(release 2). I installed the first release on Win7 machine and was waiting for activation license. Do I need to uninstall or just write over the initial install or do you want me to test?

Yes, a parameters write only might be nice for tuner locked crap so you don't have to write the entire, might only be safer when doing in car programming vs bench. Also curious(haven't tried the software yet) when it a read is done does it also get module's 7 and 8(slave and pedal stuff I think) so a full clone is accomplished? I'm sure this question will be answered the first time I try but since I will wait to hear back about install over the initial release, I thought I would ask. :thumbup:
Cant do slave. You will have to do an SPS session afterwards to update the slave system :thumbup:
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Tazzi wrote: Realistically, only need to write just the parameter block, which would take all of a few seconds to complete.

I was thinking of adding something like that to remove tunerlock/change param block stuff so a full clone is not required.

Currently you need to do a full clone, which literally erases the entire ecu and then writes it.
Does this mean it erases module 7,8 during clone? I am not familiar with this "SPS" programming, does it let you choose module's to update?

Sorry to bug, clarifying now will help for the FAQ's tab later. :lol:

p.s. The other post I asked about updates and if an uninstall is required, I'm sure that's gonna come up sometime. :)

p.p.s edit. I googled sps and came up with "stiff person syndrome" and "standby power supply" :lol: I probably fall into the first category, lol I assume it means "service programming system"... something like that or TIS.
Drenno
cars: 1984 ford bronco
1998 chevrolet suburban
2007 ve ss commodore
2004 toyota hilux

Post by Drenno »

In-Tech wrote:
Tazzi wrote: Realistically, only need to write just the parameter block, which would take all of a few seconds to complete.

Does this mean it erases module 7,8 during clone? I am not familiar with this "SPS" programming, does it let you choose module's to update?

Sorry to bug, clarifying now will help for the FAQ's tab later. :lol:

p.s. The other post I asked about updates and if an uninstall is required, I'm sure that's gonna come up sometime. :)

p.p.s edit. I googled sps and came up with "stiff person syndrome" and "standby power supply" :lol: I probably fall into the first category, lol I assume it means "service programming system"... something like that or TIS.
I just wrote over the initial install and it updated fine. This is probably what you'd need to do when you update after you've activated the program as well depending on how the license check words with the HWID because you might erase it? I'm not sure
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I just installed it too and went fine. It looks like it needs a j2534 interface and looks like I will need to source one. I was hoping my avt852 would work.

Is the gm mdi the way to go for this or what is the consensus here?
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

So to answer those questions:

1) Just install straight over, it wont delete any licensing. Eventually I will have an auto update feature.

2) Doesnt erase the slave chip at all, one of those numbers will be the slave though. Part of the paramater block somehow relates to the slave operating system since if that is not cloned across, there ends up being problems.
Once it is cloned, need to use GM tis2web (SPS session)) to do an update on the module using the VIN in the ECU. This will show any new cal/os updates available for that computer including doing the slave if it is out of date/not matching.

3) Yes will need a J2534 interface. Im currently using a VX Diag Nano and also GM MDI.
I did look at developing a J tool driver for the AVT, I had a concept design made up which I could report back as connected but didnt go any further since its quite an intensive task developing compliance. Ill be looking at adding support to the OBDX cable series that Pete and I work on since they will be J compliant.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Just went through my stack of ECUs, and have found one which isnt playing nicely with the kernel. Seems to be booting out of it for some reason.
Duke pointed this out as its occuring for him too.

Investigating it now :thumbup: