GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
Gampy

Re: GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganz

Post by Gampy »

I could definitely supply a shipping address ... :P :D :lol:
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Gampy wrote:I could definitely supply a shipping address ... :P :D :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Different J2534 devices are not needed at this time. Some have bigger buffers then others but that can be narrowed down at a later date.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
TE27Levin
cars: 04 escalade

Post by TE27Levin »

*remotely! hehe
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Tazzi wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Different J2534 devices are not needed at this time. Some have bigger buffers then others but that can be narrowed down at a later date.
I'm patiently awaiting the J2534 support for the OBDXpro I just got! (And the GM D-PDU API for tech2win lol)

Mike
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

MudDuck514 wrote: I'm patiently awaiting the J2534 support for the OBDXpro I just got! (And the GM D-PDU API for tech2win lol)

Mike
The OBDXPro VT is VPW only, which is not used by this application, future models of OBDX will support canbus which will inturn be able to work with this application once J2534 is completed :thumbup:
Yustas
cars: DF Goblin

Post by Yustas »

Tazzi wrote:Anyways, all focus is on supporting a couple new ECUs (E40 and E92), along with the T42/T43 TCMs.
Hi Tazzi,

I'm interested in e37 support, to clone and tune ECMs for my DF Goblin kit car.
I have spare ECMs, tools (can, jtag) and skills to help you. Here is my progress I want to share.

I've developed gm/e37 support for caringcaribou (opensource python tool): https://github.com/YustasSwamp/caringca ... its/master
It can do correct unlocking and slow fetching of entire image (2MB).
I didn't dig towards kernel/bootloader development. At that point, I found this thread. It was nice to read your progress. It would be pleasure to my to try your kernel if you can share.
From what you've described, e37 seems very similar to e38.

Also I've started to develop e37 simulator. It is based on gdb/sim, as it already has support for given CPU ISA, I've added several peripherals to it. Fetched image can run several thousands instructions in this simulator up to the point where timer interrupt supports required. Adequate peripheral simulation is a biggest part. I can also share/open source it, so we can collaborate.
FriskyDingo

Post by FriskyDingo »

Yustas wrote:
Tazzi wrote:Anyways, all focus is on supporting a couple new ECUs (E40 and E92), along with the T42/T43 TCMs.
Hi Tazzi,

I'm interested in e37 support, to clone and tune ECMs for my DF Goblin kit car.
I have spare ECMs, tools (can, jtag) and skills to help you. Here is my progress I want to share.

I've developed gm/e37 support for caringcaribou (opensource python tool): https://github.com/YustasSwamp/caringca ... its/master
It can do correct unlocking and slow fetching of entire image (2MB).
I didn't dig towards kernel/bootloader development. At that point, I found this thread. It was nice to read your progress. It would be pleasure to my to try your kernel if you can share.
From what you've described, e37 seems very similar to e38.

Also I've started to develop e37 simulator. It is based on gdb/sim, as it already has support for given CPU ISA, I've added several peripherals to it. Fetched image can run several thousands instructions in this simulator up to the point where timer interrupt supports required. Adequate peripheral simulation is a biggest part. I can also share/open source it, so we can collaborate.
I just want to say thank you for giving the e37 attention. I've got an 07 G5 I would love to be able to tune.
Francuzzz
cars: Hummer H2

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by Francuzzz »

In-Tech wrote:Curiosity got the better of me so I put one of these E38's in the mill. Do I need to keep going or is this the flash? Looks to be a Spansion s29cd016j0mqfm01. So, where's the "reset, boot mode" pin? :lol: or is it accessible from the bottom removable cover?
image0.jpeg
image4.jpeg
I got this somewhere in my travels too, not sure where.
E38_BDM.pdf
Just found this tonight for the Spansion. You guys probably have all this stuff, I'm just perusing for info :D
S29CL016J_SPANSION.pdf
Thank you for info, will try it with my E38 ecus... hope this will help
blckonyxx

Post by blckonyxx »

Hi Guys,

Long time member, first time poster. So this thread caught my eye bc I thought it would reveal that there is a solution as to how to open up some of the voodoo CAN bus communication functions of the E40/E67. While it seems like a MAYBE, I don't see a clear and simple methodology. That said, after years of using EFILive, HPT, etc. I think I'm ready to dive on in to the raw programming side of this. I have several OS's in ECMs and TCMs that I'd like to explore and test some theories on as to which OS's can communicate with one another. So, any suggestions as to how and where to start (tutorial, software and equipment-wise) so that I can better understand and hopefully contribute to all the things going on in this thread? Thanks! :afro: :study:
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

I do go fairly in to depth throughout this thread, from initially not understanding anything about PPC assembly, through to writing it fluently, while making multiple comments about chipset registry's and things I found along the way.
So I highly recommend reading through from page 1 to page 40 to get a better idea of what is involved :)