GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
In-Tech

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by In-Tech »

Tazzi wrote:Tested quite a few times in car, seems the extra 500ms made the difference.
Also monitored and watched SPS in car, and seems it gives a good buffer time between commands as well to ensure everything has responded
Good stuff Tazzi,
Side note, looks like my J2534 stuff should show up early next week.

What cars over there use the e40 ecm? I think here(US) it was one year in the vette(2005?), then some SS Trailblazers and GTO's and I think the SSR thingy.

Have you had one on the bench? Is it same or similar to the e38/e67? I just had a GTO 6L engine dropped at the shop to install a cam kit then it's going in a '68 Camaro. I'm going to build a bench harness for the e40 it has and have a gander.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

In-Tech wrote: Good stuff Tazzi,
Side note, looks like my J2534 stuff should show up early next week.

What cars over there use the e40 ecm? I think here(US) it was one year in the vette(2005?), then some SS Trailblazers and GTO's and I think the SSR thingy.

Have you had one on the bench? Is it same or similar to the e38/e67? I just had a GTO 6L engine dropped at the shop to install a cam kit then it's going in a '68 Camaro. I'm going to build a bench harness for the e40 it has and have a gander.
Have programmed them before but never opened them up to look at. Apparently use same CPU architecture as the P01/P59's, so unfortunately its not powerpc which is what I have learnt during this saga.

They are used in just the one model here. Holden VZ 6.0L V8's.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Interesting, now I am a little curious :study: I think I'll have to find an appropriate spot in the forum for this. Not right now though :mrgreen:

Controller Type P12:
Controller Pin Signal
Blue 7 Ground
Blue 20 Battery
Blue 18 Ignition
Blue 19 Ignition
Blue 1 CAN +
Blue 2 CAN -
Blue 15 Class 2 Data

Controller Type E40:
Controller Pin Signal
Blue 7 Ground
Blue 20 Battery
Blue 18 Ignition
Blue 19 Ignition
Blue 1 CAN +
Blue 2 CAN -
Blue 15 VPW Data
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Well, my eBay Toyota J2534 device showed up today, I’ll try to grab an elm and get a log but it failed to work with this software. It fails at “removing tester present periodic message” err_invalid_msg_id(0xD)

Something might be wrong with it though because it failed with gm sps and my old one worked with gm sps..

I tried Daniels PowerPCM flasher and that failed too. Takes a long time to get the kernel pushed to the ecu and the ecu stops responding until power cycled..

Was hoping this could be cheap alternative for everyone, might get it figured out..
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Tre-Cool wrote:good shit.

if you ever want to have a play on a dyno for your own car, free of charge, let me know.

I work full time in I.T myself in the mining industry, so that pays my bills. I do tuning & mechanical stuff on weekends as a hobby\side venture.

at the moment i've been wiring in a pcs tcm-2600 controller for a 6l80 with an e40 combo. would of been so much easier if they were an e38 in the vz hsv's.

The pcs controller has some cool shit in it though, since it's a universal controller for the gearbox. (i.e use with any engine)
I didn't see any other e40 stuff around the site so I will continue briefly here. I am wanting to do the same thing. I want to use a 6l80/90 in an earlier p59 truck. I saw the e40 does CAN and VPW so I thought it was perfect since p59 engine is old school 24x 1x crank/cam. Now, from what I have read, the e40 doesn't have the same CAN as the later e38/e67 stuff so it's not plug and play. I am researching more so any information on this would be great.
I spoke at length with Joey Sobrito(lead engineer) at PCS back in early 2018 about an unrelated GMPP project I was working on so I guess I will reach back out to him. I'm curious if we can alter the CAN in the e40 to match the CAN in the e38/e67?
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

I am proper confused how my cars engine computer is even working right now.
So it has incorrect segment checksums, missing VIN/Serial and immo and yet the car still starts without errors :lol:

The Key was something like 0x04E5 (I can double check) but its just a complete random/rubbish value. The whole whole parameter block needs to be modified and resaved, so will need to grab a bin from a similar Holden VE SS and go from there.

*Edit
E405 was the key.

I am currently doing a clone of a known good ECU which is suited to my car. I have also changed the immo in the file so this shall be interesting to verify if it starts and runs straight away
Last edited by Tazzi on Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julespatch
cars: liberty gen 5

Post by julespatch »

Tried and tried to rebrick one of the ones here. It was a lot harder when you're purposely trying to do it haha

Check the notes
Attachments
20200412_112738.jpg
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Looks like your having a bit of fun there Jules!!!

Ill be making some modiciations for incar flashing:
1) Application will send the usually chatter disable/flash setup commands even when kernel is running to ensure all modules in car/bench are in correct modes.
2) Tester present message will continue to be sent from scantool no matter what. (Even though kernel sends it.. no harm in double up).
3) Add recovery option if cal section is completely erase. I need to test this out thoroughly.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

*NOTE*

When doing a full clone. You must FULL power cycle the ecu. I tried ignition on/off but didnt seem to quite be enough. I had to ignition down, power completely off then on for the VIN/Serial/Immo ect to all be correct
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

So cloning an ECU and only changing the immo code doesnt seem to be enough.

I had a fault come up saying invalid transponder key. These keys are my original, so its interesting to hear its saying that.

Ill dump the file after linking to see what changes anyways after doing the security link, which Im about 8mins of 10mins into.