VZ PIM

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: VZ PIM

Post by Tazzi »

In the VZ V6 ECU saga I went through, I logged and commented on ALOT of the data sent to/from the PIM including what happens when trying to security link.

Basically there is a command to send to the PIM which makes it send off the immo and key data to the ECU for security linking (If the ECU is reset). If someone emulated a reset ECU, they could capture the immo data sent by the PIM.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
The1

Post by The1 »

that's can bus though isn't it? that could be one method then, though id like to check the aldl side for tables first which might just have it plainish view, like bcm's do.
jxx
cars: To many

Post by jxx »

Still working on getting comms and figuring this out.
So had another set that came out of a really f'd vehicle (thought it was a lost cause, had to cut the car away from the ecu just to remove it, but for the s&g's thought I'd try)

Pulled the pim epprom and it seemed to be a 3 digit code.... cleaned/scraped stuffed around thinking the chip was rs and could only get 3 digits, this got me curious.
0707.JPG
0707.JPG (14.88 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
No comms with ecm, hit with a hammer (no change), sat it in the sun for a few hours and voila, could talk to it.

To decipher this one it seems the code is 0707, the tailing 00 is moved to the front and classed as 0, seemed to reset the pos but then it cooled down enough that I can't see it again after ign cycle.... have resumed baking and chilling until I can get comms back to see if it is indeed in a reset state to confirm the hex code (from another thread that had 00 instead of hex 30 this intrigued me)

According to a doc from a popular yet expensive company that sells tools, the PIM can only be reset a total of 8 times before it becomes unusable.
Then again it also states that the PIM and/or ECM must be reset before removing from the original vehicle or it can't ever be used again.....
Last edited by jxx on Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Youll see with resetting the PIM, a value will increase by one in the eeprom :)
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

jxx wrote:Still working on getting comms and figuring this out.
So had another set that came out of a really f'd vehicle (thought it was a lost cause, had to cut the car away from the ecu just to remove it, but for the s&g's thought I'd try)

Pulled the pim epprom and it seemed to be a 3 digit code.... cleaned/scraped stuffed around thinking the chip was rs and could only get 3 digits, this got me curious.
0707.JPG
No comms with ecm, hit with a hammer (no change), sat it in the sun for a few hours and voila, could talk to it.

To decipher this one it seems the code is 0707, the tailing 00 is moved to the front and classed as 0, seemed to reset the pos but then it cooled down enough that I can't see it again after ign cycle.... have resumed baking and chilling until I can get comms back to see if it is indeed in a reset state to confirm the hex code (from another thread that had 00 instead of hex 30 this intrigued me)

According to a doc from a popular yet expensive company that sells tools, the PIM can only be reset a total of 8 times before it becomes unusable.
Then again it also states that the PIM and/or ECM must be reset before removing from the original vehicle or it can't ever be used again.....
Im pretty sure that the issue with the decimal being in place of the 0 in them PIM was some sort of programming mishap from factory, with the 200 odd ecus and pims ive reset using the eprom method for code extractions, the PIMs with the decimal in place of the 0 will not reset as $00 is not a hex value for 0. so when you pump 0 into a scantool to reset, it will try program $30 instead. I cant remember if this is the case for codes that START with a decimal AND for codes with the decimal placement after the 1st number. But definetly know its the case when it starts with the decimal.

In cases like that, i keep the ECU and PIM paired, then just link the customers bcm to them and reprogram the PIM options to suit
jxx

Post by jxx »

Finally got some life back out of the ecm and it had successfully reset

After flipping had

Code: Select all

37 30 37 00
707?

Using a tech2
Tried 7070 that didn't work.
Assumed the 3 digits "707" were like a BCM reset when you only had 5 instead of 6 digits where you used a leading 0.
Where 0707 got used.
So if it's a glitch or not I can't say, but this ecm reset worked using this method.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

When monitoring the actual Tech2 doing reset procedures, it actually tries sending a reset both ways:
1) 37 30 37 30
2) 37 30 37 00

Theres been a glitch a somepoint with the programming in the tech2s which I think caused some ecus to be linked with a 00 in it instead of 0x30. Hence they tech2 actually tried both for that reason.
jxx

Post by jxx »

Can't find the original post/thread regarding code 00 00 00 00, but found a reset done by a tech2 on a PIM resets it to 00 00 00 00
jxx

Post by jxx »

Resetting, Linking and reading prom contents.

Fresh PIM, Read straight from a car.
01.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 236 times
Reset 1
02.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 228 times
Link to new BCM/ECM, Change Code
03.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 235 times
Reset 2
04.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 209 times
Relink Link BCM/ECM
05.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 222 times
Reset 3
06.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 224 times
Last edited by jxx on Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jxx

Post by jxx »

Relink
07.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 210 times
Reset 4
08.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 210 times
Relink
09.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 212 times
Reset 5
10.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 211 times
Relink
11.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 219 times
Reset 6
12.bin
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 217 times
Last edited by jxx on Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.