Needing Some Pointers on reading BCM CAL

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
brennyn21
cars: 2010 Saab 9-5 aero
2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X
2007 Saab 9-7x
1995 Toyota T100 Sr5
2002 Gmc Sierra

Needing Some Pointers on reading BCM CAL

Post by brennyn21 »

Hello, all I just found this forum and it looks like I have a lot of reading to do...
So I have successfully added a remote start to my 2010 Saab 9-5 which in 2010 was not an option.
I did this by buying a BCM off ebay for 2011 Gm vehicle and modifying the hex on the eeprom to download the correct Calibration for a 2011 with a remote start
I then had to modify the vin and a few other parameters in the eeprom so the immobilizer would work correctly.
My question is there a tool or software that can read the BCM Calibration and flash a new bin without using GM SPS.
Sorry for the newb questions I am young and fresh into reverse engineering these vehicle computers.
Gareth

Re: Needing Some Pointers on reading BCM CAL

Post by Gareth »

Hello and welcome :thumbup:

I wish I could help with this but I am in a similar position, looking for a tool at will read and flash various GM modules without SPS.

As far as I'm aware there isn't one but will be following this thread with interest.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
FriskyDingo

Post by FriskyDingo »

I think SPS is the only way
gmtech825

Post by gmtech825 »

There are ways, but no easy ones I believe. Maybe a BDM setup?

I'm super new at this as well so I cant help unfortunately.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Can't help on reading calibrations or flash but for writing you could use a y cable and 2 devices and log what sps is doing, then you just need to copy that to write to the BCM without using sps..
It's not too difficult(usually) to see what's being done and how/why.. I haven't done a lot with BCM's but I hope to think that they are similar to ecm's..
brennyn21
2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X
2007 Saab 9-7x
1995 Toyota T100 Sr5
2002 Gmc Sierra

Post by brennyn21 »

I have a canbus reader and I have the calibration that I edited to enable features, I am just unsure how to flash it since sps only downloads their calibrations from their server
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

There is something called GM DPS that can do what sps does if you can find it and if you can figure out how to use it, I've had it but never really figured out how to use it..

I use 2 gm mdi's and a Y cable and log a sps programming event, I break it down and make some notes and copy the write kernel.. Then I write my own code to use the same write kernel but write my calibrations to the ecu.. This is with GM ecm's NOT bcm's, I kind of assume that would work as well with bcm's but no promises as I haven't tried yet.
brennyn21
2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X
2007 Saab 9-7x
1995 Toyota T100 Sr5
2002 Gmc Sierra

Post by brennyn21 »

Thanks ironduke I will try this and report back!