P11 GM PCM

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
DWS
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.

Re: P11 GM PCM

Post by DWS »

Thanks for the links, quick peek seems to be good info I need.

A template/jig would be nice, but I'm hitting a bunch of different PCM's lately. I just solder in a header to the ulink and plug it into whichever PCM i'm messing with.

I bought 5 PCM's from a member on here, just got them in this morning. I'm told I'm the first to crack into the P05's, it's basically a E40 hardware wise, right pins and it reads and writes using the E40 config.

I worked out the pin out for a couple P04's I got in the lot, so going to test and make sure I got things right. Clearly I'll have a lot of bin files to play with lol. Only have 1 car that runs any of these PCM's though, so the focus is more or less on the P11 until I can get another vehicle to toy with.

Now that I know what to look for and the basics on how to do this stuff, it seems pretty easy, hardest part is figuring out the CPU part number. I've just been lucky and have been having help with that process.

If/when I publish this info, I'll have to make a thread per PCM type and make an index or something. Forums are great but not real good for easy finding the data per pcm and such. It's way better than facebook though!

I also have a P01 which I'm sure is nothing new to discover there and another P11 I need to poke at and see if it has the watchdog enabled or not. The board name/letters matches the one I have w\o watchdog so I think that might be a pattern if it matches up.

I'm also building a database of PCMs based on serv + calibration/hw number and logging details like cpu, flash, fitment, iac driver (for p01/p59/p04), watchdog, etc. It might be easiest to publish the info to a fairly simple website and allow user submissions too.

I like the concept in that segment swap thread, I had the same basic idea. I figured a script to find all of the memory calls in the OS and try to somewhat automate the identification of the stored settings. Clearly I need to do it manually first and on more than one PCM to get a grasp of it. This adventure has been hitting like every skill I've built up, it's almost like I trained my whole life for this stuff with out even knowing it lol. If I get really good, maybe I can work on some sort of HP Tuners clone that's way cheaper to use, or just a bin file editor. I wonder if there's any legal issues with hosting the bin file segments, the data isn't too hard to get, but it's not my code so I guess it kind of falls in a gray area under copyright laws. I guess if GM provides the bin files freely, then there should be no concern for that issue as long as that's the original data source for the program.

Either case, it's been really interesting to learn so far. Once I have more time to dedicate to breaking down the bin files, I'll have to see how far I can get. I read there's like 600+ settings that can be mapped (more or less based on os etc).
Ford EEC-V Bin Converter (bank swapping and padding): viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8342
Lunatic
cars: 1998 Firebird Formula LS1

Re: P11 GM PCM

Post by Lunatic »

I'm not sure if this is of interest to anyone, but I've attached a .BIN file from one of these P11 ECU's. (2003 Cavalier, 5 speed, Ecotec 2.2 engine).
Immo/VATS is off and perhaps it could be of use to examine, reverse engineer, etc.
VIN-1G1JC52F537286653 (Seen on lines 402D-403D)
OS-12593523
Attachments
Ecotec_VATS_Off.bin
(512 KiB) Downloaded 82 times