Bin Decoder (xdf file creater and more)

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
DWS
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.

Re: Bin Decoder (xdf file creater and more)

Post by DWS »

antus wrote:Yep. Those terms are for the Motorola BDM (Background Debug Mode) interface. Its like a predecessor to JTAG. You can use u-link nt from http://www.usbjtag.com/ to read and write the flash. It was formerly called usb-bdm-nt as well. The owners youtube channel has lots of information. We have done it on P01 and P59, but did not have the P04 pinouts until now. Thanks!

Note that P04 support is in development in pcmhammer. We cant say when it'll be finished, but you can load and build the development branch from github now, make sure your OSID is listed with the right chip sizes, and it should read it over OBD2. Also note that you dont need BDM to get the key out, you can brute force it over a number of days, or it might be possible possible to attack the hardware and ground an address pin so that it doesnt see the calibration magic numbers and thinks its on the factory floor when it boots and opens up for initial calibration load. That does work for P01 and P59, but they have newer boot code the P04 may be missing.
Oh wasn't aware you guys didn't have the BDM pins on the P04. I figured that's how you guys were able to dev on it. I've been saying JTAG just so people know what I'm talking about clearly. I have been using the U-Link device so that's exactly right =).

Here's a couple pics of the P11 wired up to give an idea what I mean by it's picky about wire length. I'm using 30 gauge kynar wire, maybe that's less than ideal though. Maybe if I made a template/jig with pogo pins it would be a bit easier to hook it up and not be so picky lol. I have a pic of a P04 hooked up but it shows my U-Link serial so probably should censor that just encase there's any issues with that being out in the public.
Attachments
IMG_20211023_223640103.jpg
IMG_20211024_005754881.jpg
Ford EEC-V Bin Converter (bank swapping and padding): viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8342
DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

Post by DethRattles »

I wanted to open my PCM up to check the chips but is it sealed? The glue inside the pinouts frightens me... And that's all I need to read and write is to solder up a few pins with your kit?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

DWS, Thank you SO SO much!
Greedy beggar here, any others like P12 maybe ... :)

Antus, In the V6 ability thread, I have marked the 'Short Trick' pin on the AMD P04, it's with my P04 images.

DethRattles, The P01/P59/P04 looking PCM's are easy to open, they have a silicone seal, remove the four Torx screws and the cover lifts right off, clean it good first, be careful of contamination ...
Remove four more (I think it's four) inside and the board comes right out of the case.

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
DWS

Post by DWS »

DethRattles wrote:I wanted to open my PCM up to check the chips but is it sealed? The glue inside the pinouts frightens me... And that's all I need to read and write is to solder up a few pins with your kit?
The P04 opens up easily, might take a little force to get the cover off, there's a silicone gasket sealing it.

The P11 is glued shut, my trick was to throw it in the oven for a while around 200F to make the glue not as strong and carefully pry it up, not fun at all to do. Then the board is soldered in so that's why I worked out those pins to the bottom side so the board doesn't have to get removed to poke at it.

I don't really sell any kits for getting into the computers and such, the U-Link is a product I've used, it seems to work well and I suggest supporting the dev as they aren't making it a subscription to use the product and such. The wiring and such you'd have to do on your own, there's several ways people go about it, I just came from the ps2 era of installing mod chips so I had that 30 gauge wire around from back in like 2004 so was something easy that I knew should work.
DWS

Post by DWS »

Gampy wrote:DWS, Thank you SO SO much!
Greedy beggar here, any others like P12 maybe ... :)

Antus, In the V6 ability thread, I have marked the 'Short Trick' pin on the AMD P04, it's with my P04 images.

DethRattles, The P01/P59/P04 looking PCM's are easy to open, they have a silicone seal, remove the four Torx screws and the cover lifts right off, clean it good first, be careful of contamination ...
Remove four more (I think it's four) inside and the board comes right out of the case.

-Enjoy
The guy I was working with was trying to work out the P12's last I knew but I'm not sure of the status on that or if he'd want to share the info to the public or not. If the P12's have the same cpu, get me one and I can pull the cpu off and trace the pins. I'm not super sure what the P12 came in for sure.

I do have a pretty good desoldering gun now, and a solder iron that works well plus a bench top style hot air station, so I should be able to get to and remove most chips reasonably. The P11's were a major pain, but I was using a super cheap Chinese solder iron back then, one I have now isn't anything special but it is a pretty solid upgrade lol.

I vaguely recall something about a slave cpu, that might have been the P12's.

I recently got a 3.5L car with this computer (2005 Malibu). I don't have a spare one so can't kill my good one, but not sure which computer it has besides the physical one. I kind of remember a P08, P12 or P08 I think looked like this. Like I said though, been like a year since I was messing with GM computers.

Probably worth a mention, I do have an automotive picoscope if any waveforms need to be looked at. Mine is the 4 channel version - https://www.picoauto.com/products/autom ... t/overview The page does say I can read canbus even though I haven't done that yet, I've read some key transponder communication and such though and it handled those signals well. I'm still a bit of a hardware noob, but slowly learning more things as I go =).

Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Looks like a P12, but I don't think it is ... The casting around the four mounting lugs is a tiny bit different.
P08's look like P01/P04/P59/E54.

Look around on the cover, my P12's have P12 stamped in small characters near the edge by a screw.

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
DWS

Post by DWS »

Gampy wrote:Looks like a P12, but I don't think it is ... The casting around the four mounting lugs is a tiny bit different.

Look around on the cover, my P12's have P12 stamped in small characters near the edge by a screw.

-Enjoy
I see, I've never seen any of them marked yet. I've always wondered where the names came from. In my stash of computers I do have one labeled as a P05 that looks the same too. I don't recall what the source was for that, but it might be a 3500 computer, bottom cover is off though so not 100% on the part number/serv number. On that one I didn't see any kind of indication on the casting besides a part number of some sort painted on the fins. I do see a couple spots that are recessed in, maybe that's where it's normally stamped? Would be neat to see a pic of the P12 stamping if possible.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Image stolen from darkman5001, here: Delphi P12 PCM (Second Gen PCM for GM 4.2L Inline 6)
P12 1.jpg
P12 1.jpg (179.8 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
If you look in the center of the red circle you will see P12 die stamped into the Formed Sheet Aluminum cover.

I have an E67 that has it cast in, between the cooling fins, an E69 that has it on the label.

-Enjoy

DWS

Post by DWS »

Ahh I see, I did some digging and found the covers, P11 and the P05 do not have anything stamped on that cover sadly. I can't find any marking at all on the casting. Since I found the P05 cover, it's a 2005 Grand Prix GTP 3800 SC 12596623. It's extremely close to the P12 layout like your pic, but that flat spot where the stamp is, it's the same shape as at the bottom side. There's a tab at the bottom side but no markings there lol. I did check between the fins etc too.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

DWS wrote:
Gampy wrote:Looks like a P12, but I don't think it is ... The casting around the four mounting lugs is a tiny bit different.

-Enjoy
I see, I've never seen any of them marked yet. I've always wondered where the names came from. In my stash of computers I do have one labeled as a P05 that looks the same too. I don't recall what the source was for that, but it might be a 3500 computer, bottom cover is off though so not 100% on the part number/serv number. On that one I didn't see any kind of indication on the casting besides a part number of some sort painted on the fins. I do see a couple spots that are recessed in, maybe that's where it's normally stamped? Would be neat to see a pic of the P12 stamping if possible.
If that P05 came from me, it was from an 04 to 07 Grand Prix 3800SC (L32).
The P11 was from an 03 or 04 Cavalier.

The P10 and P12 came in Trailblazers (Envoy) and Colorado's (Canyon) with the 4200 I6, among others.

Mike