E92 PCM Reverse Engineering

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

E92 PCM Reverse Engineering

Post by bubba2533 »

I've become increasingly interested in the E92 PCM, so I just purchased two off of eBay (they are actually a lot cheaper than I was expecting). Specifically I went after the 12664768 number ones as it seems that is the one that comes on the late model 4.3L V6 (LV3), but I really don't know the differences between the part numbers.

I have stayed away from this platform for long enough and now I think I want to start learning more about it and maybe even help the tuning community out. The work that I've done on the P59 was a good learning experience, but there are not many people using that platform anymore. I don't really have any other features that I want to add so I think I'm probably about done with development of that platform.

I've seen the pictures that Tazzi posted, which will help significantly when opening the first one up. I'm hoping to be able to get the bin file pulled out of one of these and see what lurks within. It's probably going to take me forever, but I might as well get another project started before I finish the other 10 that I have going on lol.

I'll try and post as much information as I can find, but it seems like there is already some information out there that maybe we can try to condense into one place.

Here is some more information Tazzi posted:
Tazzi wrote:It may... or may not fire up again after the abuse I just put it through. It certainly was not designed to be pulled apart!

So our lucky processor is a: SGMPPC7241F8MVR 3M17W
Reading online others have labelled it a MPC5674.

Datasheet: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MPC5674F.pdf
Reference manual: https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=MPC5674FRM
Architecture core reference manual: https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=E200Z760RM

And has 4mb of flash!

Looks like the variable length encoding (VLE) is usually favored in compilers even when using assembly to minimise the code size. I guess the next step is to see if she boots up.. and if so log a TIS write and take a look at the GM kernel.
It seems that maybe the latest U-Link NT from http://www.usbjtag.com could work with the E92 CPU (MPC56xx) Thread Here.

I have used the USB BDM NT with some help from them and it worked very well with the P59. Hopefully the same can be said with the E92, but I'll probably reach out before buying a U-Link NT.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
bubba2533

Re: E92 PCM Reverse Engineering

Post by bubba2533 »

Got my first ECU in the mail today.

This was was too cheap to pass up even though it was damaged. It’ll be a good test part for cutting it open so that I can take the next one apart without damaging it. The second one is also coming with the connectors so I can make a bench harness.

It's quite interesting that they used friction stir welding to close the case up, that's the first time I've seen that used in such a high volume application.
Attachments
IMG_7171.jpeg
IMG_7170.jpeg
IMG_7169.jpg
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
darkman5001
cars: 2004 Suburban, 2001 Tahoe, 2002 Envoy, 2006 Envoy, 2003 Lincoln LS

Post by darkman5001 »

Interesting. I would be interested to see what you find inside. What vehicles used this PCM?
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

I don't have anything that has an e92 or e92 in it but I'd be glad to help where I can..
I do have an E92 on the bench and a couple j2534 devices to play with as well.
I could cut it open if needed as I have no use for it, just want to keep it alive electronic wise to play with it..
I do have a bunch of e92 and e92a bins if that helps..
At the moment time is somewhat limited, winter months usually give me a lot more spare time for things like this.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

Yeah, if you have a bin that has a “H” as the 8th digit then that’s the 4.3L V6 bin file.

How were you able to get the bin file?

I just got the back cover milled off and now I’m going to try and desolder the connectors.
CBA43E06-2325-4B98-B0F2-48D60A5F8108.jpeg
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

The desoldering only lasted about 5 minutes and it was a lost cause, so back to the mill it went and I cut around the connectors. I wasn’t very delicate about it but it was pretty easy.

There was one piece that ripped off when separating the board from the case. I think with some strategic milling I could avoid that on the next one. It might even be a good idea to relief cut around all of the potted areas, but then again I’m not sure what I would gain at this point by cutting the other one open. I need to figure out if I can even get information on how to recover the pcm via BDM if it’s possible.
Attachments
5569FA91-0E89-44A7-AABB-F3F1637F48F0.jpeg
89619465-76F7-4D07-A324-AE4C4647D9EC.jpeg
0B2052E2-7BF9-4CE7-92C7-874D465CECCE.jpeg
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

That slice in the board got very close to the processor!! haha.

Next thing is reversing the GM kernel to understand it better. The VLE commands really made it a bit of a headache to even decode to be honest when I tried.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
gmtech825

Post by gmtech825 »

I have an e92 and an e92a in working condition on my bench. I also have a bunch of different bins, mostly from trucks but I should have a few camaros also.

let me know if I can help.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

Tazzi wrote:That slice in the board got very close to the processor!! haha.

Next thing is reversing the GM kernel to understand it better. The VLE commands really made it a bit of a headache to even decode to be honest when I tried.
Yeah, I knew this thing had no chance of living once I saw that, but it was a good learning experience and I could definitely tear one down without damage with what I’ve learned. Are you looking at the bin for that, or a log of a flash? Either way I can start looking into it as well if you post up what you have.
gmtech825 wrote:I have an e92 and an e92a in working condition on my bench. I also have a bunch of different bins, mostly from trucks but I should have a few camaros also.

let me know if I can help.
Yeah if you have bins post them up. I’m specifically interested in the 4.3L V6 bin, but I’ll take anything at this point.
Gatecrasher

Post by Gatecrasher »

Now I know what's under that round bulge in the case. Those are some big ass caps!

I don't know how much I can contribute to the RE side of things, but I've got a 17 Corvette if you need data from a live car.