p04 gm 3400 v6 bcm eeprom vin learn

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

p04 gm 3400 v6 bcm eeprom vin learn

Post by DethRattles »

I have a dilemma in which i could do a few different things. I changed the bcm(corroded/malfunctioning) in a 2004 grand am gt and of course the car wouldnt start since the bcm talks to the pcm and makes sure the vin is correct amongst the two. Is that all the data they swap...just the vin? I think this is a passlock 2 system.

Because i then switched the old pcm gt one and the junkyard who sold me the matching bcm said it was from a gt,,,so i thought the pcm was gt as well. it wasnt(they both werent and from an se). So i can do a few things starting with the cheapest and the most difficult. Swap the eeprom chip from both bcms to each other and throw my gt pcm back in. I feel like theres much difference in fueling etc between the se aand gt. So i need to switch the eeproms in the bcm and they are are small and this is an 8 pin...scary to desolder and solder. Ive read they cant be programmed in the car and had to be physically removed or swapped.

2. i could change the vin on my gt pcm through pcm hammer...but will that work?..could brick it
3. Buy another set of used pcm and bcm and make sure its from a gt.....100 usd
4. buy a new bcm thats doesnt need the chip swap or programming.....89 usd
5. i'm unsure of if i'm able to do this one,,i own a vcx nano and tech2win and i could buy a subscription to sps for 40 usd and maybe change the vin that way in the gt pcm to match the se bcm.
6. i read theres an offline version of tech2000(unsure of the spelling) that can change the vin.

I dont know what to do. What are the chances of bricking my original gt pcm using option number 2?

I did get the bin file from my grand am from an experimental version of pcmhammer but it cannot be written yet due to no support for the p04 pcms. So i could tune the se version to match the gt but have no way to write it. Someone needs to build a virtual car that our pcms hook into that we can tune on the fly without worry of hurting the engine. Maybe someone can ask ai to write the program?
Gampy

Re: p04 gm 3400 v6 bcm eeprom vin learn

Post by Gampy »

Changing the VIN with PCMHammer is safe, PCMHammer uses a standardized FACTORY technique provided for just that!

If that is all you need, you have ZERO issue!
Change the VIN and be on with it!

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

Gampy wrote:Changing the VIN with PCMHammer is safe, PCMHammer uses a standardized FACTORY technique provided for just that!

If that is all you need, you have ZERO issue!
Change the VIN and be on with it!

-Enjoy
I'll give it a go with that last experimental version
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Nothing in the test version is different then a release version for the VIN change, a VIN change does not require us to put software (a Kernel) on the PCM like reading and writing Flash does.

So, Test version or Release version, all the same for the VIN change.

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

Gampy wrote:Nothing in the test version is different then a release version for the VIN change, a VIN change does not require us to put software (a Kernel) on the PCM like reading and writing Flash does.

So, Test version or Release version, all the same for the VIN change.

-Enjoy
didnt work,,heres the code P1631 theft deterrent fuel enable signal not correct
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I didn't think it would, I am not a Tuner, but I believe there is a Pairing process you have to go through when replacing 1 of a BCM/PCM pair.

If you didn't piss them off with your rampage of cross posts maybe someone will speak up, most won't open a can of worms with a pest, because it takes more time, time is precious!

Remember most everyone here is a volunteer, most of us do this stuff because we enjoy the challenges of it and it's our escape from dealing with the day to day life BS, and don't want to deal with it here ...

-Enjoy

DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

Gampy wrote:I didn't think it would, I am not a Tuner, but I believe there is a Pairing process you have to go through when replacing 1 of a BCM/PCM pair.

If you didn't piss them off with your rampage of cross posts maybe someone will speak up, most won't open a can of worms with a pest, because it takes more time, time is precious!

Remember most everyone here is a volunteer, most of us do this stuff because we enjoy the challenges of it and it's our escape from dealing with the day to day life BS, and don't want to deal with it here ...

-Enjoy

Im just trying to get more people in on this to help. We're both learning the more i dig. Im not the best with my social skills. I want to direct people to the other post then so they have more thorough understanding.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8169
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

This site is not so big stuff gets missed.

-Enjoy

DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

What is the actual use for changing the vin if it does nothing to help the car? Changing the vin to the bcm vin did nothing because they have to handshake.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Usually its because someone has swapped out the computer and wants to set it back to the vin that matches the car. Come cars require it. Some dont. Some people just like their numbers to match up. The software is blind to why, it just does what you ask it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396