Dissecting and editing a SPS utility file

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
jake9713
cars: 68 Camaro LS3
99 S10 LS1
18 Volt
07 2500HD 6.0L

Dissecting and editing a SPS utility file

Post by jake9713 »

I may be sticking my foot in my mouth,
But what better way to learn than ask?
I am hobbying with my spare 15 Silverado E92 ECM.

I am wanting to find out how to edit a GM SPS utility file to create a PIN code change file I can load up into DPS,
specifically I am working on a 2 byte E92 ECM from a 15 Silverado.

AE7E is the hex I have picked up on pin code assignment.

I have ghidra, but I'm completely green on it.
I believe I need to take the utility file, and disassemble it. Then rewrite in to provide the seed, key, module address, and assign the pin code address. Write the pin code change command, and validate the checksum.
Is that correct?
When I load it in ghidra, it just looks like a constant string of lines, with no functions.
I have been watching some videos on it and IDA, and I am guessing I am not setting the chip up right.
Who could provide me with some pointers? Have any of you been able to write a PIN change file from a utility, or is it easier to send the CAN commands manually once the module is unlocked?
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: Dissecting and editing a SPS utility file

Post by ironduke »

Not sure if your gonna get away discussing this here, but I believe it's a LOT easier than that.. Need to read up on the interpreter pdf..
jake9713
cars: 68 Camaro LS3
99 S10 LS1
18 Volt
07 2500HD 6.0L

Post by jake9713 »

I was not sure if that was against the rules, my apologies if it is not allowed.
I have the utility file open in neo, but its jam packed full of everything. I need to figure out how to extract just what the module needs for the function.
I will read up on the interpreters document some, I just dont understand how to format the bin to reduce it to what's needed.
Gatecrasher

Post by Gatecrasher »

The DPS part is against the rules. It's software that nobody outside of GM is supposed to have. The forum understandably doesn't deal in pirated, cracked software.

Anyway, you don't need it for this. You don't need DPS for most things honestly. Get a copy of the interpreter document that ironduke mentioned, and learn what a utility file actually is and how it works. It's a glorified script, and you can understand all of the important functionality with nothing more specialized than a hex editor and a text editor. Once you understand the steps, you just need a tool that lets you manually send commands to the module.

I did a PIN code change on my cluster with an OBDLink MX and a serial terminal.