LS1 Boost OS - Development

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
delcowizzid

Re: LS1 Boost OS

Post by delcowizzid »

Allways wanted to play with rtls1
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

Post by bubba2533 »

NSFW wrote:I'm late to the party, but this is my new favorite thread. :) Nice work, bubba!
Thanks!
NSFW wrote: For the 7603, it would be easy to have PCM Hammer treat any of the unused memory ranges as a calibration range. For the near term, you can just tell PCM Hammer to do an OS write - it will only erase and rewrite the memory ranges that have changed. That's the approach I've been planning to take when I start playing with custom code.
So I did it by removing the EGR Code so that it would still be compatible with other flashing software. But once I add boost control or something else then I imagine I will run out of space and have to resort to this.
NSFW wrote: For a custom boost OS, I think it might be simpler (for the tuner, not necessarily for the custom OS developer) to get rid of the PE idea, and just use a fuel table that has MAP on one axis and RPM on the other axis. Which could be done by changing the temperature axis on the existing open loop commanded fuel table so that it's an RPM axis, and then change the MAP axis so that it goes up to 2 or 3 bar. Then there's no need for PE switching conditions, because you'd just enrich the cells that are above whatever MAP and RPM range you want. And no need for a "boost enrichment" feature, because again you just enrich the cells in the fuel table.

Since there would no longer be a temperature axis on the fuel table, we'd need a separate table that enriches in cold weather and when the engine gets hot... and that table already exists. The stock OS only enables it for PE, but I suspect it would not be hard to make it active all the time.
I did just that, well kind of. I didn't really see a huge need to have the Commanded EQ ratio to be a MAP x RPM table, so I kept it being MAP x Coolant Temp. I did raise it to have a max of 340 kpa though. But PE is no longer needed. Technically it still works, but you can just set it to 1.0 and not use it anymore.
NSFW wrote: It sound like EGR could be used to drive a boost control solenoid. If that really works, it could turn out fantastic... Open loop boost control would make a good first step, based on a table that has accelerator pedal position on one axis, and RPM on the other axis, and duty cycle in the table cells. If that works out, then all it takes to go closed loop is a second table with the same axes and target MAP values in the cells, plus a feedback loop (and a few misc parameters to tune the feedback loop).

The feedback loop itself is not much code. You can see one that I used for an Arduino project here:
https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/AvcsContr ... edback.cpp

You can ignore the bucket / rolling-average stuff at the end. That was an idea to collection data to help with tuning, but I never actually used it.

Hand-written assembly is probably the right approach for repurposing factory tables, but if we get to the point of implementing boost control, we should figure out how to get a C compiler involved. That was very very useful in getting custom code working with Subaru ECUs.
Awesome feedback! I was thinking an open loop system would be a good first start.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

delcowizzid wrote:Allways wanted to play with rtls1
kojab wrote:NSFW

Sounds great and to make it even better add the RTLS1 code with logging rates of 100 fps with 90 pids including Internet tuning across the NET in Real time.
The website doesn't show a price or anything. Sounds interesting though.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

I can't seem to find any wiring diagram or pinout for the P59 (Blue/Green) PCM that shows the EGR Solenoid.

If anyone knows the pin I would like to try a bench test to confirm that it works before writing code to control it.

Edit: I did a little more research and found that the S10 EGR Solenoid measures 8-9 Ohms and runs on 12 Volts. So that is more than enough to run a boost control solenoid as most people use a MAC valve with part number 35A-AAA-DDBA-1BA. The spec sheet calls out 5.4 Watts so @ 12 Volts it should only pull 0.45 Amps.

The P01 pins are as follows:

C2 - Pin 7 : Solenoid Power (12 Volts)
C2 - Pin 41 : Solenoid Control
Gampy

Re: LS1 Boost OS - Development

Post by Gampy »

Have you looked at those same pins on the P59 ... What I have for those pins on the P59 is Not Used.

Might get lucky!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

Good point! I'll check it out
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

Gampy wrote:Have you looked at those same pins on the P59 ... What I have for those pins on the P59 is Not Used.

Might get lucky!
I got lucky! It's working on the bench already. As far as giving a signal. It's kind of weird because the interface is requesting a position instead of a duty cycle, but I can change all that when I write new code.

I also quickly figured out a way to modify the frequency. I may be doing it wrong, but it is only going down to 60hz. I'm not sure if that will work very well for a boost control solenoid.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

bubba2533 wrote: The website doesn't show a price or anything. Sounds interesting though.
Bubba

There was never a RTLS1 purchase price on the Webpage. We only sold to dedicated Workshops and as the only serious competitor back then was LS1 Edit
which for a workshop licensed P01 PCM programmer cost was $17,000 from memory. We decided to sell our P01 RTLS1 for $10.000 with no new car license fees.
Which meant you did not have to pay extra for every car you tuned.

Then the P59 came out which also sold for $10,000, Most workshops bought both P01 and P59 which came with heavily modified PCM's.
So as time went by the price dropped from $20,000 to $13,800 and some just settled for the P01 RTLS1 for $10,000 as there were very few VZ's cars around.

I did offer the RTLS1 on this forum for $2000 if they supplied a good PCM for the necessary RTLS1 conversion. I was surprised no one took up the offer.
I can't make any more. I just don't have the time.

Although I am retired, I am really doing the same thing, except now I just tune my own cars. Not other peoples.

What saddens me is the technology that was put into the RTLS1 is wasted unless I pass on RTLS1 source code to someone who will not profit on our hard work.

I do have enough parts to build more RTLS1 if you decided to build your own. Price for parts would be heavily discounted.
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

replying to KOJAB here as it's related to his RTLS1 ecu.

I got one of the moates modified ecu's for use with efilive about 5 years ago. I think in that time i've used it about 5 times.

most ls1 era cars that i see for tunes these days are people turning them into unlicensed skid cars, so engines are flogged and a existing base tune will get all the requirements they need to keep it alive. so requirements for realtime i see would be more orientated towards people who want to tune their own cars/ecu's then workshops now.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I’m interested kojab
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...