Wideband calibration

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
Yortt

Re: Wideband calibration

Post by Yortt »

antus wrote:They are in the ose 12p zip file, under adx, there is a 1 2 and 3 bar version. 224mb of ram isnt much, your probably running out of ram.
Thanks for that, I found it, another question why is there Knock counts and not Knock retard degrees?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah that memory is a worry, run up task manager and see if the memory usage goes right down, it may be that its running out of ram and starting to use the swap file more (hdd) and that might slow it down.

if you have other stuff running on the machine maybe try to end all the other tasks to get back some memory.
Yortt

Post by Yortt »

Ok Thanks, any comment on "Knock counts" verses "Knock retard"
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

its just what was chosen to add to the default message6. you can actually change what data items message6 contains, using the flashtool, go to binary funcitons > message editor. so you can swap to to retard degrees if you want. the main reason is, knock counts only occur right when the knock happens, wheras the retard starts where the knock happans, then ramps down, so in a histogram, you get data appearign in cells that didnt actually ping.
Yortt

Post by Yortt »

Jayme wrote:its just what was chosen to add to the default message6. you can actually change what data items message6 contains, using the flashtool, go to binary funcitons > message editor. so you can swap to to retard degrees if you want. the main reason is, knock counts only occur right when the knock happens, wheras the retard starts where the knock happans, then ramps down, so in a histogram, you get data appearign in cells that didnt actually ping.
Hmmm! thanks for the response and also for pointing out how to change the data items.
Yortt

Post by Yortt »

Jayme wrote:its just what was chosen to add to the default message6. you can actually change what data items message6 contains, using the flashtool, go to binary funcitons > message editor. so you can swap to to retard degrees if you want. the main reason is, knock counts only occur right when the knock happens, wheras the retard starts where the knock happans, then ramps down, so in a histogram, you get data appearign in cells that didnt actually ping.
Jayme, I have checked the flash tool aldl editor and there is no drop down option for spark knock?

Also I have gone into the "mode1message0" went into "add new item" can type in "knock retard value" as used in normal speed mode however I do not know what "unique ID" to use and I assume the packet offset is 08 being next in line.

Can you please explain the correct proceedure?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Will add knock retard in the next release of the flashtool so you can use that too, should see most knock counts using message 6 though as it norm logs at ~30Hz.

You cant just add any item in the data stream, unlike OBD-II where you can request an item ALDL is a fixed message which is defined by the ADX. The ALDL editor for 12P allows you to change the fixed message but you then also need to adjust the ADX to suit this new item - ie changing the knock counts to knock retard will then need to change to a 16bit item with a different calculation.
Yortt

Post by Yortt »

Thanks for the response I am not clear on the relationship between knock counts and knock retard, all my tuning is done by chasing the knock retard threashold not sure this can be done with knock counts and maintain optimum engine output.

Look forward to the next flashtool release with 30fps then maybe this will give me the answers, thanks again.
The1

Post by The1 »

knock retard would increase with knock counts, there would be a knock timer, if it's still knocking then another knock would be set then it would retard more
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Knock counts cause knock retard. The counts is what the ECU uses to determine how badly its knocking and how much spark advance to pull. The knock filter filters the sensor to a narrow frequency range, the digital output of the filter changes state based on if knock is present. How long its present for determines how many counts you see, which is then used with the table "ESC Attack rate(Deg/mS) vs RPM". The table has values that are deg/ms of knock, the ms component is the duration of the pulsed output of the knock filter. So if the table has 4 deg/ms then 4 deg of spark advance gets pulled for 1ms of knock - which using a 65khz counter inside the ECU gives 65 knock counts per ms. More counts more spark gets pulled and conversly, less counts less gets pulled.