Calibrating a 4 cylinder engine

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
Holden202T

Re: Calibrating a 4 cylinder engine

Post by Holden202T »

heres another one i found, this shows the wideband fairly closely following the target afr for a 1/4 mile run

POZE
cars: GN

Post by POZE »

Boosted, 3 speed auto trans , alcohol , 12 second 1/4 mile ???

These screenshots are helpful....Thanks. How do you copy screenshots?

Holden.... as you suggested I will go back to the VE table to verify they are not causing lean tip in.
I would like to use the NVRAM I got from VL400 but have some questions. The NV is a little different from the one in the directions. What jumpers should be on?
32K jumper
RW jumper
PCM jumper
J or M type
Also cannot get a OSE12 hardware connection on TPro. Hoping one of these jumper settings is causing this.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

The board you have will be very slightly different from the instructions, but the names are almost identical - the jumpers just moved slightly.

32K - off
RW - Off to begin with until you can get it all connected in TP and confident that it can read and log.
PCM - off
J - on
Cyl 4,6,8 - to match the engine cyl

The NVRAM was loaded with 12P V111 on both banks.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

POZE wrote:Boosted, 3 speed auto trans , alcohol , 12 second 1/4 mile ???
actually 16psi and 11.76 last time i went out :P

its in the my delco rides section of the forum, gemini with holden 6 and turbo :)
POZE

Post by POZE »

Holden.....I ventured over to the rides section and looked at your car. That is a awsome setup you have created. The videos are fun to watch. :thumbup:

VL400.....I just needed to configure the OSE Plug In to get my connection. I had been running an AutoProm for emulation along with USB cable for data. Everything works now thru the USB data link.
Uploaded a current tune to the NVRAM (upload current bin to emulator). It was so lean I had to double the injector constant. Was that a mistake? Should I have downloaded bin from emulator to tuner pro and then made changes to the bin you loaded ?
The RW jumper must be to enable VE learn?

Thanks
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if you download it will get the tune from the nvram and load it into tunerpro, then uploading will send it back to the nvram.

if you change the injector constant by that much without having different injectors or such then there is something majorly wrong.

generally you set the injector rate to suit your injector and engine size, then adjust the ve table for each load point to get it right.

the only reason you should then need to change the injector rate is if you run out of adjustment in the VE table, try to make the highest number in there at 100kpa about 85-90 ...
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yes, but if you didnt load a tune first and edited the default value then you would need such a massive change. But its not the right way to do it, need to start with a base tune loaded, either from the ecu or from disk, and have the same tune on the ecu the adjust from there.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
POZE

Post by POZE »

So if I upload the tune i have been driving on to the NVRAM , the engine should act the same. Is the upload as simple as hitting the Upload Current Bin To Emulator arrow on TPro or are other procedures involved? Any specific things that could corrupt such as emulation on or DA connected while uploading or downloading?

If I recall correctly when first using the NVRAM, turned on emulate and made changes to the BIN in TPro. At that time the BIN in TPro was a modified version of the preloaded BLCF BIN in the NVRAM. I believe this is what antus was telling me.
Hope there is no damage to the NV.
POZE

Post by POZE »

After a day of testing I noticed a few things.
When setting the "MAP Sensor Type Selection A/A:B Clear=1 Bar" the engine runs normal with the injector constant set within .02 of KInjflow setting but manual VE changes with TPro don't effect fuel delivery.
If .1 is added to injector constant with "MAP Sensor Type Selection A/A:B Clear= 1Bar" not checked the engine runs normal and the VE table can be manually updated. Drove the car about 40 minutes or so and compared the VE from the emulator and it appears to have updated about 16 VE cells from .39 to 3.52 difference. :?:
Any thoughts or have I confused you guys too?
Thanks
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

There is a PDF guide for using the plugin here .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... ?f=3&t=590

The one thing you need to be careful of is when uploading a cal from tunerpro that it matches the ECU. You dont want to open a bin from a different code type and hit upload. The best way to prevent that and to ensure what your editing is what the ECU is using is to follow the secion of the guide "Using the OSEPlugin to Make RT and Offline Tuning Changes".

Unless you have a 2 bar sensor leave the MAP sensor selection flags unchecked.