How "NOT" to tune ose 12p

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
delcowizzid

How "NOT" to tune ose 12p

Post by delcowizzid »

so today i had a guy send me his ecu to fit vl400's comms boards so i can tune it after having issues with random missfires and rough running after professional tuning.what do i find $12p :D .its been tuned by a reputable tuning company i wont name names but i will post the bin its open source.now i am no professional tuner i do this as a hobby and for fun and to help out the odd mate and shop along the way when needed and quiet often for no charge to help people out and have done for quiet some time well before i even touched efi carbs and dizzy graphing were the go and tuning either carb or efi is the same just you dont stick of fuel when finished tuning nowdays LOL . it really urks me to see what comes out of some of these shops when the customer is handing over big wads of cash and expecting impecable results from professionals.clearly someone with no grasp of how the delco ecu should be tuned has fudged there way through this tune and sent it out the door with issues. tune attached below "FOR EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY" i would put it in the not safe for engine testing folder but low boost spark is pretty good if you wanted to copy it into a boosted v6 tune it would be a good starting point.
12P V6 TURBO READ DO NOT USE.BIN
(32 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: How "NOT" to tune ose 12p

Post by antus »

Yeah that VE is shocking. It looks like a cut n paste job from another bad tune, with rows doubled up where the 12p resolution is higher, and then with a bit of self VE tuning thrown in over the top and no logical smoothing at all. The whole doubled up VE row thing really defeats the purpose of the ecu interpolating between rows!

Im going to post this up here, just to make it nice n easy. Not exactly the worlds smoothest, and you can definitely see the pairs of rows tracking each other.
bad ve.png
bad ve.png (52.77 KiB) Viewed 8562 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

looks like my ve talbe after i left narrowband learn on for ages by accident looked like some one tried to draw a echidna in my table had all sorts of problems with stumbling on throttle
love the boost ve map to looks awesome
Last edited by Dazza92VP on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

boost ve if this engine has a ve curve like this ill eat a sparkplug LOL
boost ve bad.JPG
boost ve bad.JPG (85.41 KiB) Viewed 8551 times
this is a boost ve table when settings arnt fudged
decient ve table.JPG
decient ve table.JPG (85.26 KiB) Viewed 8546 times
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

thats holden202t vn v6 12p tune hey nice bit of work that. i dont know how they expected that boost ve table to even work
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

thats my v6 turbo boost ve map .the ve will work with the other fudged settings in the tune but will have a hard time compensating for changes in weather and temperature amongst other things.they have obviously tuned it to a safe a/f ratio on the dyno but have gone about it totally the wrong way using all the wrong settings to get desired results
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

they obviously haven't read the tuning guides :P

its funny I've always worked off the 100kpa ve copied into the boost ve table, its clear they are nothing similar!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

OMG how did they work out the VE? Just love the hunchback porcupine. Any idea how much they paid for this monumental stuff up?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

its worth noting the butchering of the AFR tables it seems to get the results needed....

it appears that the map a was screwed with and map b appears mostly stock.
12P V6 TURBO READ DO NOT USE-afr tables.jpg
12P V6 TURBO READ DO NOT USE-afr tables.jpg (260.35 KiB) Viewed 8464 times
why you'd want to command 13.6 AFR at 95 KPA is beyond me, then goes back to 13 either side of it!! and I bet the cars got a nice flat spot at 2400rpm with 14.7 at 95kpa!

I've said this time and time again, you don't need to touch the AFR table to get a tune working!

amazingly the boost AFR table is not so bad :P albeit probably on the lean side for a boost combo!
v6 morrie minor

Post by v6 morrie minor »

Answer to Charles crown about $1000 too much for a tune that delcowizzid will have to do over. At least i have "THE MAN" on the job now. Tuners gave bad advice on oil supply as well which would have killed the turbo. Pity I didn't find this site before i rang the dyno shop. :turbo: