OSE 12P V111 Code 33 set but no MIL displayed

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Re: OSE 12P V111 Code 33 set but no MIL displayed

Post by kojab »

VL400 wrote:Is code 33 still active or are you viewing the fault history? The logged data in the engine data message is the fault history. The CEL/MIL will only be lit while the fault is active, same operation as a factory bin. It may have been a very well timed fault, long enough to set the code but not long enough to enable the CEL for a length of time that you would see it?
I should explain what has occurred. Firstly I was not expecting to find any codes in the ecu as I never once saw the cell light come on. It was only the following day that I wanted to extract the learn block to see how the fueling was in cruise mode. I used our own DST to do this and discovered Code33 set. The DST is reading a different ALDL string to what TP is looking at. DST command is F4 8E 01 vs TP F4 57 01.
To answer your question VL400 "Is code 33 still active" I will have to ask you how are you determining when a code is active or history.
VL400 wrote:Flashing codes via the CEL/MIL is also the stored faults, so code 33 has likely been set and since cleared.
Again are these stored code active. How would one know if they have been cleared when using using TP or flashing them out.

Finally went through all the Logger V2 XDL files and found when code 33 was set. It was when I spun the car but the cell light never came on from that point on. I did have to re-start the engine as it had stalled. Do you think this is why the cell lamp did not come on?

Edit: Sorry I did not read your most recent post before posting this. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Thanks
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well if the engine stalls the CEL will be on time you re-start ?

if that is correct then it may have set the code just as it stalled so you would never see the light and then when you did it would be along with all the other lights on the dash!

I think the best way to see if something like this is still active is to clear it and see if it returns.
kojab

Post by kojab »

The XDL log collected with the V2 Logger clearly shows the following

13:09 car spun
during the next 3-4 second it met all conditions for a code 33 to be set.
13:13 (unlucky twice) code 33 was set.
13:16 engine stalled
13:21 Tried to start engine. did not start.
13:30 Engine started and continued driving fast. Would not have noticed if Cell came on. Too busy driving.

17:44 Blew radiator hose. Engine Coolant temp was 127 degs C. Again too busy to watch Coolant temp . My Bad

18:30 Code 33 remains set.

VL400 said code would clear 10 seconds after engine start. Probably did which explains why I never saw a Cell displayed on my return to Sydney

Edit: Sorry VL400 said "Sure does, default is 50 restarts (and running for > 10 seconds) and its gone."

So does it mean because there was no Cell displayed on my return to Sydney the code would have been cleared.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

I probably worded that wrong and its a bit misleading. The ECU clears the fault history after 50 successful engine starts if there are no further fault codes. The ECU determines a successful start as the engine running for longer than 10 seconds, ie the engine needs to be started and left running for longer than 10 seconds a total of 50 times without getting a fault code for the history to be cleared. The number of starts before the faults are cleared can be configured in TunerPro.

The way you described when the fault was set there would have likely been a CEL for 13:13-13:16 until the stall. After restarting the active code would be cleared as the operating conditions no longer meet the code 33 params, only the stored history will remain, so no CEL would be shown. The history fault you confirmed exists after your return to Sydney by flashing it out via the CEL and logging.

Hope the engine is ok after its overheat?
kojab

Post by kojab »

Thanks for that.

As for the coolant overheat it appears when the radiator hose burst it squirted/poured coolant over the stainless turbo exhaust pipe which was probably glowing cherry red causing large cracks in the 3 inch down pipe. I am going to reposition the coolant hoses so they are further away from the turbo area. Being so close to each other (2 cm) has probably contributed to the high coolant temp. Only testing again at the track will confirm if it overheats again.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah having the hose so close is probably not going to help the life of the rubber either if you have a red pipe glowing beside it!