HI Knock counts on Vt 304 engine running 11P

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
Yortt

Re: HI Knock counts on Vt 304 engine running 11P

Post by Yortt »

So my question is, how do you know it needs 1.99deg removed at that point? Changing the attack rate changes the amount of timing removed for the same counts.
It was based on the calculation example you gave, If your calculation was correct then the knock sensor would indicate knock at your calculated value of 1.99 degree given that the attack rate would have been calibrated by the GM engineers to ensure sufficient timing is removed to eliminate the registered knock. Hence the knock retard log reports the level of knock intensity?

By tuning to MBT with knock retard turned off (you can still see counts). If you are getting knock counts and taking out some advance does not remove the counts then its likely false knock. They can then be masked by the ignore counts table, but you need to know the counts to set this table up.
I can now see an advantage over knock sensing when on the rare occasion when abnormal engine noise is causing false knock this can be masked/ignored. I just have concern with this approach particularly on high boost engines where false knock has been identified and programed to ignor this faulse knock, what happens if genuine knock appears in these areas will that be ignored also. I just wonder why knock counts are not used in later GM (and ford) tuning software.
sparx-1
cars: Vs ute Running VT 304 engine n PCM
Vs v6 auto sedan

Post by sparx-1 »

It might be a while before I get the knock sensor comparisons as my stock transmission is acting like it has a 4000rpm stall converter in it just a little bit of slip :thumbdown:
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Bugger :thumbdown: