HI Knock counts on Vt 304 engine running 11P

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
sparx-1
cars: Vs ute Running VT 304 engine n PCM
Vs v6 auto sedan

HI Knock counts on Vt 304 engine running 11P

Post by sparx-1 »

I'm not sure whats going on. I have just put a vr loom and auto transmission in my vs ute and im running, 11P it seems to be running fine drive ability wise but when i installed a HSV vs manual memcal on the side of the nvram and enabled , Knock Sensor Installed Option. The knock counts are high on idle and driving and seem to stay constant until i restart the engine.
It is a vt crate motor and i ran a RT cjdn MAF tune on it for the last 40,000klms and the knock sensor was working fine only getting knock counts when i ran a 91 octane fuel in it.
log of knock
log of knock
vt 100ohm Knock sensor.jpg (32.64 KiB) Viewed 7495 times
NVRAM SETUP
NVRAM SETUP
11P knock board.jpg (95.14 KiB) Viewed 7495 times
Any ideas how i can get my knock sensor to operate properly?
Attachments
knoc 100ohms.xdl
(109.63 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
OSE_$11P V104.xdf
(852.72 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
OSE_$11P V104 BLCC V8.BIN
(64 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: HI Knock counts on Vt 304 engine running 11P

Post by vlad01 »

I think you might be using the wrong sensor?

It would need to be VN-VR style with 40k shunt not the 100K ones like the later engines use, unless your memcal is for that? guessing no as you state VS HSV.

Correct me if im wrong anyone.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

11p v104 knock counts are also displayed a little different. The counts stay steady with no knock, when knock occurs the value changes (if it rolls past 255 looks like it decrements by showing a lower figure but is just normal 8 bit math happening). The difference it jumps by is the knock counts. It was changed so knock counts can never be missed between logging frames, stock code if counts occurred between frames you would get knock retard but see no counts. Ended up being not so useful for logging so has changed to a different method in later versions where it sums the counts between frames, after sending the value over ALDL resets the accumulator and start counting again.

There is also likely no difference in the response of either sensor type (4k on early style memcal with the filter, 100k on knock built in to the PCM), just need to mask the code 43 check as that is checking the resistance. Edit: Link fail, was from 11P beta testing. Basically tried both sensors and same response of knock counts. Was on a VS ecotec conversion. The early knock sensing is pretty poor compared to later MAF PCMs.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I agree with the knock sensor. I tried a later knock sensor with 12P and it gave all sorts of weird knock signals.
sparx-1
cars: Vs ute Running VT 304 engine n PCM
Vs v6 auto sedan

Post by sparx-1 »

I might screw in a 4k one on the other side if the engine just for comparing. Its not throwing code 43 at all. i was just confused when the knock counts were high and each time i turend off the engine and restarted it they would change. Its good to know this is all normal i havent used 12p or 11p before just have to wrap my head around the different code :)
how do i see if any knock has happend and how much? as the history table doesnt have an option for it in the drop down box
Can some one run me through how i can add it?
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

Just had a look at your bin and according to the XDF you are using you don't have "Code 43 - Knock sensor failure" SET. This would explain why you have not seen code 43 throwing a code.
As others have mentioned you should not be using a VT knock sensor on your PCM. It should throw a code and pullout 6 degs of timing unless VL400 has changed the code.

Also noticed there appeared to be 4 X "Code 43 - Knock sensor failure" in the the ADX. Maybe VL400 can explain why.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

In category view its clearer, but there is a flag for fault code processing and a flag for CEL enable/masking. So you can have a code set but not cause a CEL (some codes are set like this). There is then engine and trans flags, fault codes operate differently for engine software vs trans software. Total of 4 is correct.

The way the code 43 is processed has not changed from standard code, with code 43 processed (knock sensing is off by default in BLCC as its not a HSV bin) if the sensor is unplugged it throws the code and pulls a fixed amount of timing (code 43 params are defined in the XDF).
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

How to view in category?. I don't recall this view. I found F2 asks for a password.

Also could you confirm, if a VT knock senor (100K) is used instead of the earlier (4K) with a 424 PCM and 11P code it would normally set a code 43 as it does with the factory code.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

sparx-1 wrote:how do i see if any knock has happend and how much? as the history table doesnt have an option for it in the drop down box
Can some one run me through how i can add it?
This is why it has changed, you cant log a histogram of delta knock counts to see where knock is happening. Still useful for looking at knock in a monitor view though.

And to add, in the log you posted there is no knock happening. It stays at a steady value while the engine is running, changes only when you stop/start the engine.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

kojab wrote:How to view in category?. I don't recall this view. I found F2 asks for a password.

Also could you confirm, if a VT knock senor (100K) is used instead of the earlier (4K) with a 424 PCM and 11P code it would normally set a code 43 as it does with the factory code.
In the 11P instructions it has a screen grab, its a drop down near the text 'Parameter Tree'.

If you use a 100k sensor it will throw a code 43 if processing for that is turned on. The 4k part is a pull down resistor inside the sensor, in the '424 PCM there is a matching 4k pull up resistor. Together it forms a voltage divider keeping the signal wire at ~2.5V. Using 100k sensor the voltage is not within the spec for checking the fault code, 'Malf 43 (ESC) - Minimum A/D value' and 'Malf 43 (ESC) - Maximum A/D value'