cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

What influences timing in 12P

Post by Charlescrown »

Need a little help to understand the timing with 12P. I logged my car and when I looked at the data I found a funny thing. The timing recorded was spot on when the revs were up but no where near "like half" what I have set in the map. It looks like the timing in map B which I am not using so the question I have is what else will influence the timing?
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: What influences timing in 12P

Post by Dylan »

There is a table where charge temp ads or subtracts but only on cold and hot. Running temp should be off the main table. And idle is off the idle table and can have some idle timing added or subtracted to help stabilise idle speed. There's a sclar for that.

Not another adx mismatch is it? Is the bin that's loaded 12P?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

what about watching the commanded advance in the log? does that match reality? also how many cyilinders is the car, and have you set the number of cylinders in the calibration?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Is knock retard showing anything other than 0 degrees?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Dylan I think you hit the nail on the head. I just had a look at the item list and my mat voltage is 0 and it looks like the ECU is putting in a fixed value of 50 degrees. I'll fix that first and get back with an update.
Jayme I can't find commanded advance in the ADX.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Commanded advance is displayed on the screen with the rpm speed gauges etc. Or on the monitor windows right click and select ignition advance.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yeah it doesnt use the word 'commanded' so a bit of a gotcha there. Its just being used to discuss what the ecu is trying to do vs what is happening due to alignment out in the engine bay. Ideally should be the same thing but not always the if something is broken or misaligned.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

OK guys time to dump on me. Stupid here had adjusted the bin file but obviously didn't flash it to the memcal. It was some time ago I played with this car and thought I had the latest bin file but after a reflash with some new VE figures the the timing is spot on. I did have a look through 12P and yes there are quiet a few tables and setting associated with timing. The tables I comprehend but the settings are still voodoo to me so best left alone. All said and done I am happy now so thanks for all the input.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yeah for the most part its only the main tables you need to worry about. A lot more is available than is neccessary and the factory calibrations have sain values across the board to start with. Glad you figured out why you had such discrepancies.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I found the table.
I looked thru the log and could see that the only change that took place where the timing went back to the map table was as I opened the throttle slightly so I looked for a table that might influence idle only and found "EST idle spark advance as a function of map" and sure enough the values in the table looked like the ones I was actually getting so I changed them all to suit my timing tables and did another log and they are now spot on.