Generator Idle

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
Holden202T

Re: Generator Idle

Post by Holden202T »

why not just drill a few small holes in the thermostat base plate, that way it will bleed enough water to know when its up to temp but save you having to use the bypass hoses ?
Charles S
cars: 68 Chev Impala.. 327
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283
V6 VY 3.8L 20KW Generator Project

Post by Charles S »

yep .. was thinking something similar .... That Would be easier... is no thermostat a bad idea..?
i started this a while ago .... as i said .. i need to pull my finger out and finish it ..
Attachments
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_3004.JPG
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

No thermostat would effect how it heats up and eventual temp control. Holes in the thermostat would work but the bypass is the best way forward.

I'd almost consider fitting one of those light mechanical fans just so there is some air movement around the engine. Something like http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... 4/10002/-1

I'd also recommend using a VX or later TB. The passage for the IAC is bigger so it should allow more air through.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

immortality wrote:I'd also recommend using a VX or later TB. The passage for the IAC is bigger so it should allow more air through.
Learn something new everyday :thumbup:
immortality

Post by immortality »

MAGP wrote:
immortality wrote:I'd also recommend using a VX or later TB. The passage for the IAC is bigger so it should allow more air through.
Learn something new everyday :thumbup:
I learnt it the hard way, when using a bored VS TB on a VX and it was causing stalling issues.....
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

another thing you can do aswell, drill a small hole in the butterfly, that way it will need less IAC to maintain a higher idle, then the IAC will have more effect ..... I've used this for motors with no PCV's and big cams, they want high idle, and its hard to get it without moving the TPS past 0% so drill a hole (3-4mm) in the butterfly then you can wind the idle screw back and let the IAC work properly.

I agree, I would not remove the thermostat all together, it will probably never get hot enough, or will take a long time to do so!
Charles S
cars: 68 Chev Impala.. 327
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283
V6 VY 3.8L 20KW Generator Project

Post by Charles S »

I decided to use a stepper to hold 1500rpm ... i don't exactly know what i will use to controll it yet ..
i guess some sort of PID RPM Stepper controller ..?? i will dream something up ..
Attachments
IMG_3007.JPG
immortality

Post by immortality »

Interesting. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Maybe something to measure the rpm, then set 1500rpm as the zero or target point and have the stepper motor move according to how far the rpm is off the target. Would just need to figure out how many steps depending on variation from target. A bit of trial and error to work out how sensitive to make it.

The only issue I see possibly is the TB IAC stepper motor may end up fighting with your TB stepper a bit.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

why not a cruise control module with rpm as the input?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

That could work, just fit a VSS somewhere.