Generator Idle

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
v6bucket

Re: Generator Idle

Post by v6bucket »

There's a few fixes for the oil issues seen in the V6. Increase sump capacity, as already mentioned. There is 2 different width cam bearings in the v6, so the machine shop that I use fit the wider bearings in the centre as well so there is more material to stake to help stop them spinning. Open up the oil feed holes from the cam bearing to main bearings.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Anyone got measurements of the oil galleries to the mains for the ecotec? I have the buick ones and they are actually quite large. Largest one was about 11mm I recall.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

If you're building a performance V6 the minimal mod is probably to remove the cam bearing and use a die grinder to sweep out and enlarge the area where the cam bearing intersects the oil gallery and restricts the flow to the mains. Also plug the oil feed for the balance shaft after you remove it.

Somebody should design and make a gated insert for the alloy sump to help with oil surge too.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

i don't think the alloy sump requires any mods, its very large with small and shrouded baffle up top, i think the issue is just a low level in early ecotec and the situation where an engine thats revs a lot will hold a lot of oil up top and the sumps remains low on oil. So filling the oil to the correct level for the sump design would have any issues and having no balance shaft feed will eliminate some of the oil pumped to the top end.

Its apparent the older buick did not suffer anywhere as much issues as the ecotec does. Its the classical story every mechanic tells you is back inthe day they had piles of VS-VT engines with spun bearings or thrown rods and not one buick engine. Only thing the buicks were sometimes dead from was broken heater bypass and loss of coolant until it caught fire practically. Buick has an inherantly shitter sump design but they do have a much higher oil level relative to the block than early ecotec did so I feel that is part of the problem.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

when I re-built my brothers VP V6 for boost I took the opportunity to slightly bore out the oil return holes and also small the entry into them into a funnel to help it all flow back down....

its not such an issue for him as he only doesn't drags with it, but I reckoned it cant hurt to do it while its all apart.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Has anybody actually ever filled an ecotec sump with it off the engine to see how much it can fit before the crank has a bath? Also take into consideration that the resting volume in the sump can be a bit higher because as soon as the engine starts to run the sump volume will decrease a fair bit.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I can go find out now if you like.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

5.3L full to the top of the baffle. With my ecotec to buick adaption the buick dipstick actually would be about 4.5L, or about 10-15mm below the baffle opening.

if that is what it ends up at being full, I will just fit it to VY specs which I recall is 5.3L and remark the dipstick.
immortality

Post by immortality »

That sounds perfect to me. I generally put just about 5 litres of oil to allow for the oil filter volume which I partly pre-fill anyway.

I might see if I can find a VY dipstick and compare it to the VX one.

Edit, I know someone with a VY L67 in a VS, I'll compare that dipstick with mine.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:That sounds perfect to me. I generally put just about 5 litres of oil to allow for the oil filter volume which I partly pre-fill anyway.

I might see if I can find a VY dipstick and compare it to the VX one.

Edit, I know someone with a VY L67 in a VS, I'll compare that dipstick with mine.
Yeah I have both a VY and VT dipstick in the shed and the mark position is way higher on the VY.