For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
Charles S
cars: 68 Chev Impala.. 327
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283
V6 VY 3.8L 20KW Generator Project

Generator Idle

Post by Charles S »

Howdy , Could anyone give me some tips to set the idle at 1500 RPM Controlled Closed Loop .... i have a VS V6 (CKUL) coupled to a 25 KVA generator (Alternator)...
it would be nice if the PCM would hold the revs at 1500 rpm as the load changed ... that would mean i dont have to use a PID controller and a big stepper on the butterfly ..... also if it run a little richer it would mabee run a bit cooler and smoother ..... Thank's Charles S ....
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: Generator Idle

Post by yoda69 »

Adjust idle speed in the tune to 1500rpm and set iac to about 5-10 steps at 1500rpm hot with no load by adjusting throttle stop.
This may give you enough headroom with iac to control, if load is to high may have to modify iac system to get more air in.
This would be a starting point but may struggle depending how hard the load hits and how much.
Charles S
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283

Post by Charles S »

Thank's for the FAST reply .... ! .. . Much Appreciated ... Modifying the IAC is no prob... i have several ways to let more air in ...
generator load current shouldnt drop engine rev's much due to the V6 being OVERSIZE ..!!
what i can't work out is which parameter in TunerPro (ie : what it is called) to set idle rpm and IAC hot idle step's ...etc...etc ..... so many to go thru...!
it seem's i can change everything but idle .... also it seems to runs fairly hot .. which parameter will make it richer...?? (ie : what it is called) im hoping a rich mix will run cooler as the power goes out here in the adelaide hill's for several days at a time , after 24 - 36 hours it BBQ'S..!! ...
it is directly coupled with no flywheel , so throttle response need's to be verry quick ... !

thank's again ... Charles S ...
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

You would be looking for the table Engine Idle - RPM Vs CTS D/N

What I'm not sure about is getting it into idle mode as there would be no VSS signal.

You would need to set it to idle in open loop mode and then adjust the injector offsets or MAF tables (depending on which bin/xdf you are using) to get get it to the AFR you want.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

-It should look at TPS for idle, but will need to mask some VSS errors. Once the load rampos in the PCM will think its likely the 'car' is moving but no VSS signal.
-Will need to change the idle up params or you wont get 1500RPM when cold, will be higher RPM
-There is a dead band for RPM, once the idle speed is within this it no longer tries to get closer. Normally around 150RPM.
-A flywheel might help as the idle speed control on the PCM is a little slow to respond due to what its application is - its not critical to be spot on target at all times and driveability is king. Its not going to be like a PID controller for a generator.
- Run two radiators?
There will be a number of things to fiddle with but it might work ok if you dont get massive load hits.
Charles S
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283

Post by Charles S »

it's only running a house so load shouldnt go more than mabee 15-25 percent or so .. (remember it's a 25KVA 3 phase alternator)... fridges ,lights,tv etc... so there won't be any sudden huge load's ...
you would have to think one radiator running a bit above idle should be ok .. as it work's in a car ok ... .. 2 radiators could be the answer thou ...
i have an inductive proximity switch looking at the coupling .. i could tie this to VSS input .. it would be 25Hz ... ( 1 pulse/rev )
also i am using CKUL that i have disabled the trans / VAT .....Flags ... .. etc ... i tried antz enhanced VS but it run's rough and won't idle ....
i don't quite understand the table and graph data ... i havn't had that much experience with TPro and DELCO PCM's ...
i could email someone the BIN and XDF im using with some pics if anyone has the time and can help ...

Thank's ALL .... Charles S ...
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

You don't want a vss at all, need the pcm to think it's stationary all the time to be in closed loop idle speed control.

Can post the bin here and maybe someone can tweak a few things.
Charles S
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283

Post by Charles S »

XDF , BIN and a PIC ...........
Attachments
VS V6 v1.24 $51_GEN_001.xdf
(879.54 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
CKUL4113_GEN_001.BIN
(128 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
IMG_2939.JPG
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Damn, that's a tidy setup.

I don't suppose you have a pic from the other side?

The reason I ask is that the engine coolant system incorporates a bypass in the coolant system that runs through the heater tap. This bypass helps the engine warm up and somewhat regulate engine temps. If the bypass is blocked off it will effect how the engine heats up etc.

edit: I'm no expert on generators but wouldn't the PCM be exposed to a fair bit of electromagnetic interference sitting on top of the gennie?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

if the bypass is blocked, it will over heat!

Anyway, I want to make a point that just using the IAC might not give you enough power output to fully utilize the gen. 25KVA would be about 17.7Kw amusing 100% generator efficiency.

17Kw is a good throttle opening at that rpm range.

Perhaps rig up cruise control and feet it RPM signal instead of VSS
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.