For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
Charles S
cars: 68 Chev Impala.. 327
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283
V6 VY 3.8L 20KW Generator Project

Re: Generator Idle

Post by Charles S »

S/S SHD BOLTS WITH ANODISED CUP WASHERS THROUGHOUT....
I had a good look and Can't see any split seals..
Charles S
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283

Post by Charles S »

ive done a few now.... i like the 3800.... they're a good donk.!
Attachments
IMG_2395.JPG
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Yeah really want some of them washers lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

lol S/C v6 for a generator now I've heard everything :)
Charles S
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283

Post by Charles S »

Does anyone see CAM Bearing problems in these engines..?
i have rebuilt several with obvious oiling problems in the middle cam bearings...
lack of oil and spun bearings..... this seems to be a common problem ..
the coloured cup washers do it for me.... nothing wrong with bling...
dosn't everyone have a toy SC V6 Gennie in their cave ..?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Vr model buicks were bad for the centre cam bearings coming loose and taking out the middle bigends too.ive had a couple of vrs that you couldn't get the cam out of cause the bearing had come out and sat on the shaft and wouldn't let it out of the next tunnel bore lol.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I have seen it once on a vn of my boss from when I did a work placement program through school. It spun and spit out of of the middle cam bearings.

Common trick I see as more of a precaution by the good v6 builders in the know, is to drill through the top of the block in each cam location and tap for a pinning grub screw. You know those Allen key grub screws with a dowel pin like end? And that pins the bearing in place to prevent them slipping and spinning in case of a dry start or momentary loss of pressure.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charles S
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283

Post by Charles S »

i have one v6 that spun the cam bearings and chew'd out the block... found the bearing bit's in the sump and oil pump etc...
im thinking of running 1/8 steel line from a manifold off the pump and drilling extra oiling lines to the cam...
however ... i like the idea of pinning the bearings......
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I think the primary reason is oil starvation elsewhere before the main galleries. Bad pump, or perhaps clogged up oil pickup from sludge etc..

I know with ecotec engine with the older type dipsticks had oil levels low enough to cause starvation under hard cornering/braking. At it was improved a lot by upping the oil level to hold around 5.3L verse 4.8?L and apparently the VS was even less at 4.3L

Big G has this issue in his race car of the oil pressure being lost a lot during racing, he fitted an accusump (oil accumulator) and never had a problem again and that engine has seen may years and race seasons and never been pulled apart once.

I plan to use one of these on my next car as its going to be a lot more wild than what any of the current ones are.

On my VP engine I have an ecotec sump but it has the VR style front mount dipstick, so it has the same relative level as the buick but a lot more capacity. I am yet to fill it and see how much it actually takes but I expect quite a lot of oil as it will be almost flush with the top of the baffle.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I've had the oil light come one once when the oil level was close to the fill mark and I gave the brakes a really good workout. Ever since I make sure I keep the oil topped up. I always end up slightly overfilling the ecotec/L67 when doing an oil change.