For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
Charles S
cars: 68 Chev Impala.. 327
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283
V6 VY 3.8L 20KW Generator Project

Re: Generator Idle

Post by Charles S »

The heater pipes are blocked off.......!!!!

i didn't think it would matter ..... much .. . ?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

You will need to loop the top stainless pipe back to the bottom pipe that enters into the front of the timing cover next to the water pump. The bottom pipe is much larger and the original hose has a taper so you may need to track down one of these pipes to make fitting the loop easier.
Charles S
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283

Post by Charles S »

ummmm .... i threaded the manifold and timing cover with BSP tap's .. put brass plugs in ...

it wouldn't matter if it took time to warm up before settling on 1500 ...
Charles S
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283

Post by Charles S »

i have run it using the idle adjust screw .... set about 1500rpm ... seem's to work sweet...!

just kook's a bit that's all .... i spoke to ANT over a year ago about it ... it's far off being finished ... i need to do lot's yet ...

my last power outage was about 40 hours .. lost all Xmas food etc.... thought i better get off my ass and finish it ...

my main problem is refining the BIN file .... and getting auto throttle control ...

if anyone has any ideas .. pls let me know... everyone's 2 cent's are worth hearing ....

Thank's .... Charles S .. .
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Very nice setup
Just as an aside unless that engine has had the exhaust changed it is not a VS Ecotec. The EGR pipe coming off the LH exhaust manifold is a dead give away that it is at least a VT Ecotec.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Charles S wrote:ummmm .... i threaded the manifold and timing cover with BSP tap's .. put brass plugs in ...

it wouldn't matter if it took time to warm up before settling on 1500 ...
The problem is it will likely overheat on warm up, but if the engine got hot enough to open the stat it then would be ok until it shuts again, the bypass is needed to flow internal hot coolant over the stat to control when it initially opens. What happens is the engine heats up down in the guts but since there is virtually no flow (except a tinny little bit at the air bleed hole) the stat remains cold. Soon enough the engine just boils to the shit house while the external part of the cooling system is still stone cold.

So really the bypass is like the input signal and the stat is like the amplifier.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Agreed, definitely need bypass.

If it's threaded and plugged then maybe you can just pull out the plugs and put in some hose tails and link up with a bit of hose?
Charles S
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283

Post by Charles S »

ok .. i will fit some hose barbs and put a 1/2 " ID pipe between them ... and yes it is a Bitsa VT or something .. i have 4 of them and a L67 kicking around ..... funny but i don't own a commodore .. the EGR is not connected , just plugging some hot holes....
but it is a VS PCM ... ! . .
and thank's for your good feedback .. Charles S . .
Charles S
69 Dodge Phoenix.. 383
64 Chevelle Ute.. 283

Post by Charles S »

just a quick question ... does the pcm determine injector time by looking mainly at the airflow ... apart from tps,temp and revs ..?
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yes, the MAF measures the airflow and is the primary source of info to determine the injector PW. The PW is then modified by things like engine coolant temp and a whole lot of other things that won't really effect you as you aren't dealing with acceleration/deceleration etc.