LS1 Boost OS - Development

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
Stokes1114
cars: 93 K1500, 5.7, 4L60E, 16168625 $E6

Re: LS1 Boost OS

Post by Stokes1114 »

Any update if the 6125 flex fuel os will work? Definitely not opposed to switching to 2156 if not.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Maybe I'm lost in all the switching ...

Os 122 12 156 is also Flex Fuel capable according to my records.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

Post by bubba2533 »

Gampy wrote:Maybe I'm lost in all the switching ...

12212156 Is not flex fuel capable.
Stokes1114 wrote:Any update if the 6125 flex fuel os will work? Definitely not opposed to switching to 2156 if not.
It will work. I just haven't gotten to it just yet. It might take a little longer than expected since I'm testing the 12587603 version of the code to make sure I don't need to redo anything.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

bubba2533 wrote:
Gampy wrote:Maybe I'm lost in all the switching ...

12212156 Is not flex fuel capable.
Record purged ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

Found a mistake in my code for the 12212156 OS. @kojab I'll have to send you another BIN file with that fix.

I also started working on the 12216125 LS1 Boost OS. Pretty much done, I just want to check everything over to make sure I didn't miss something.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
Stokes1114
cars: 93 K1500, 5.7, 4L60E, 16168625 $E6

Post by Stokes1114 »

Awesome! Can't wait to give it a try.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

bubba2533 wrote:Found a mistake in my code for the 12212156 OS. @kojab I'll have to send you another BIN file with that fix.

Thanks take your time. We know your busy.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

Ok, so I sent my latest version of the 12212156 & 12216125 OS for people to test.

I would like to have another person run the 12587603 OS so that I'm not the only one testing it. So if anyone has interest let me know.

Once the testing has come back with positive results I should be ready to post it up for everyone to use.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I'm late to the party, but this is my new favorite thread. :) Nice work, bubba!

For the 7603, it would be easy to have PCM Hammer treat any of the unused memory ranges as a calibration range. For the near term, you can just tell PCM Hammer to do an OS write - it will only erase and rewrite the memory ranges that have changed. That's the approach I've been planning to take when I start playing with custom code.

For a custom boost OS, I think it might be simpler (for the tuner, not necessarily for the custom OS developer) to get rid of the PE idea, and just use a fuel table that has MAP on one axis and RPM on the other axis. Which could be done by changing the temperature axis on the existing open loop commanded fuel table so that it's an RPM axis, and then change the MAP axis so that it goes up to 2 or 3 bar. Then there's no need for PE switching conditions, because you'd just enrich the cells that are above whatever MAP and RPM range you want. And no need for a "boost enrichment" feature, because again you just enrich the cells in the fuel table.

Since there would no longer be a temperature axis on the fuel table, we'd need a separate table that enriches in cold weather and when the engine gets hot... and that table already exists. The stock OS only enables it for PE, but I suspect it would not be hard to make it active all the time.T

This approach to fuel tuning isn't really my idea, it's just the way fueling is tuned in Subaru ECUs. I'm used to that approach, so PE seemed weird to me (and I'm told that HPT uses "boost enrichment" which seems even weirder) so I started looking for ways to make the GM OS code work more like Subaru... I haven't tested any of these changes, but I'm guessing it would work.

It sound like EGR could be used to drive a boost control solenoid. If that really works, it could turn out fantastic... Open loop boost control would make a good first step, based on a table that has accelerator pedal position on one axis, and RPM on the other axis, and duty cycle in the table cells. If that works out, then all it takes to go closed loop is a second table with the same axes and target MAP values in the cells, plus a feedback loop (and a few misc parameters to tune the feedback loop).

The feedback loop itself is not much code. You can see one that I used for an Arduino project here:
https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/AvcsContr ... edback.cpp

You can ignore the bucket / rolling-average stuff at the end. That was an idea to collection data to help with tuning, but I never actually used it.

Hand-written assembly is probably the right approach for repurposing factory tables, but if we get to the point of implementing boost control, we should figure out how to get a C compiler involved. That was very very useful in getting custom code working with Subaru ECUs.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

NSFW

Sounds great and to make it even better add the RTLS1 code with logging rates of 100 fps with 90 pids including Internet tuning across the NET in Real time.