LS1 Boost OS - Development

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

Re: LS1 Boost Custom OS

Post by bubba2533 »

turbo_bu wrote: For boost control, I guess I should ask the stupid question for the day ... are you using a solenoid to control the wastegate, or are you trying to control it through say spark ... or both ???
The idea I have is to use the EGR output to control a MAC valve type solenoid on the wastegate. Which I should probably bench test before I get too deep down the rabbit hole. I'm pretty sure I can override the solenoid output manually with HP Tuners.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

Ok, so I think I've got a first version finally complete. I haven't tested it yet so I don't really want to post it.

I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to get it running in my truck as I have to actually get my truck finished first. Once I have tested it on the bench and in my truck I'll feel more comfortable posting it up.

I also really hate the integration with TunerPro as I really want to be able to provide a baseline tune for all the modified tables based on the values that are in the current tune (to account for the rescaled EQ ratio tables etc). If anyone has any ideas I'd be open to hearing them. I'm no programmer so I don't think I can create something from scratch.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
turbo_bu

Post by turbo_bu »

You might provide a baseline bin file with those values already pre-loaded. That way people can do a full flash into their PCM, then read it back out and "update" their calibration info as needed. Not ideal by any stretch, but do-able. Either that or they could load their cal, and then copy over the necessary tables/values from your baseline bin file.
Phoenix
cars: 1983 Chevy C10
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
2004 Pontiac GTO
2005 Pontiac GTO

Post by Phoenix »

I'm just curious, but does this enhancement retain a functional MAF? I know it's not the popular way of tuning boost, but I like to run a blend of the two like the factory does. Also I'm not sure that the car would be able to pass the OBD2 state test with the MAF disabled.
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

turbo_bu wrote:You might provide a baseline bin file with those values already pre-loaded. That way people can do a full flash into their PCM, then read it back out and "update" their calibration info as needed. Not ideal by any stretch, but do-able. Either that or they could load their cal, and then copy over the necessary tables/values from your baseline bin file.
Yeah, I could do that if I don't find a way to pull it from the tune.
Phoenix wrote:I'm just curious, but does this enhancement retain a functional MAF? I know it's not the popular way of tuning boost, but I like to run a blend of the two like the factory does. Also I'm not sure that the car would be able to pass the OBD2 state test with the MAF disabled.
Yeah, I don't think there is any reason it wouldn't work.

I actually figured out a simple issue with my truck today. So I might be able to test on it sooner than I thought.
turbo_bu

Post by turbo_bu »

Phoenix wrote:I'm just curious, but does this enhancement retain a functional MAF? I know it's not the popular way of tuning boost, but I like to run a blend of the two like the factory does. Also I'm not sure that the car would be able to pass the OBD2 state test with the MAF disabled.
If your having to pass an OBD2 test, there are ways around it. I have played with a patch that is written to provide the "correct" information that the OBD2 test is looking for.
turbo_bu

Post by turbo_bu »

bubba2533 wrote:
turbo_bu wrote: For boost control, I guess I should ask the stupid question for the day ... are you using a solenoid to control the wastegate, or are you trying to control it through say spark ... or both ???
The idea I have is to use the EGR output to control a MAC valve type solenoid on the wastegate. Which I should probably bench test before I get too deep down the rabbit hole. I'm pretty sure I can override the solenoid output manually with HP Tuners.
Using a solenoid to control the wastegate should be a pretty straight forward way to try and control boost. At a minimum, I think that you would want to have a boost target, with some form of dead band (+/- _ psi) to prevent the control loop from going too unstable. Might also want to add in a delay setting to prevent the system from chasing itself. I'm sure there are other feedback things that should / could be done to help with making it stable.
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Watching with much excitement! Spark cut limiter is a big one for me! will definitely test on either the racecar or maloo for sure! Great Work
bubba2533

Post by bubba2533 »

turbo_bu wrote: Using a solenoid to control the wastegate should be a pretty straight forward way to try and control boost. At a minimum, I think that you would want to have a boost target, with some form of dead band (+/- _ psi) to prevent the control loop from going too unstable. Might also want to add in a delay setting to prevent the system from chasing itself. I'm sure there are other feedback things that should / could be done to help with making it stable.
Well that’s quite a bit more complicated than I’ll be able to accomplish with purely ASM language. I was planning on doing some form of open loop control (so no feedback or target). Unless I can steal a PID control loop from some other part of the code I don’t want to spend the time writing one from scratch.
turbo_bu

Post by turbo_bu »

bubba2533 wrote:
turbo_bu wrote: Using a solenoid to control the wastegate should be a pretty straight forward way to try and control boost. At a minimum, I think that you would want to have a boost target, with some form of dead band (+/- _ psi) to prevent the control loop from going too unstable. Might also want to add in a delay setting to prevent the system from chasing itself. I'm sure there are other feedback things that should / could be done to help with making it stable.
Well that’s quite a bit more complicated than I’ll be able to accomplish with purely ASM language. I was planning on doing some form of open loop control (so no feedback or target). Unless I can steal a PID control loop from some other part of the code I don’t want to spend the time writing one from scratch.
Yes, that might be making things a bit more complicated than necessary. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of having the "control" doing something like the spark cut code. The difference would be if one could do any modifying of the output signal. The existing EGR setup uses a stepper motor to control the exhaust flow (think IAC motor and controlling airflow for idle). My understanding is that this is a pulsed signal, but I don't know if you can modify the actual frequency (or duty cycle) of the pulses. Ideally, it would be great if you can. This is how other boost controllers work. And yes, it would be done in an open loop fashion.