LS1 Boost OS - Development

For discussion and distribution of custom code and hacks
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

Re: LS1 Boost OS - Development

Post by bubba2533 »

Ok, well I'm making good progress with V3 of LS1 Boost OS.

I've decided to push the VE table out to 425 kpa.
I'm going to add in open loop boost control via the secondary fuel pump output.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
aaronc7
cars: 2003 C5Z
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

This is super cool! I've been neglecting my C5Z and messing with my other car helping make open source OS patches/logging app etc. Seeing this sparked some interest in messing with the LS1 stuff a bit. I took the supercharger off my C5Z so no longer really need the boost stuff, but I'm interested in porting over the LC/FFS and this new wideband stuff over. Maybe an E80 PE table with blend factor table (I see you have the open loop table version, but maybe PE makes more sense for a typical NA setup?). I'm about to move across the country so I can't get too crazy yet.

Do you use Ghidra or IDA--- is Ghidra sufficient? IIRC an exact cpu instruction set def didn't exist yet for ghidra last time I looked.
bubba2533
cars: 03 Chevy S10 Turbo V6

Post by bubba2533 »

Thanks! I'm glad there is still some interest in this. I was hoping more people would use it, but I guess not that many people are using stock PCM's anymore.

I've used Ghidra, but I've heard that there are versions of IDA floating around on the net.

Here someone has fixed the issues, but I haven't given it a shot. Perhaps now is the time.

I have used Ghidra without that fix and it works quite good, you just have to be aware of the issue and work around it.
LS1 Boost OS V3 Here. For feature suggestions post in here Development Thread. Support future development ->Patreon.
aaronc7
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

bubba2533 wrote:Thanks! I'm glad there is still some interest in this. I was hoping more people would use it, but I guess not that many people are using stock PCM's anymore.

I've used Ghidra, but I've heard that there are versions of IDA floating around on the net.

Here someone has fixed the issues, but I haven't given it a shot. Perhaps now is the time.

I have used Ghidra without that fix and it works quite good, you just have to be aware of the issue and work around it.
Awesome, thanks for that link. I searched around earlier for such a thing but came up empty. Hate to be the guy who shows up and wants to be spoonfed but also anxious to get back into it :)

I hear you on the interest thing.....I'm amazed more people aren't interested in this. While I haven't ran it yet, it definitely has more features than than the commercial options and more complete as well. I think we interacted briefly before when I had some issues running a boosted setup on EFILive where the "baro" parameter would update/max out at part throttle always and I had to go to great lengths to tune around it.

Does this patch keep misfire detection active even when running SD mode? This was another gripe I had on EFILive. I found out that HPTuners COS does keep misfire detection active in SD, but it was missing a few other things.

Back to the interest thing... I've been apart of some really cool open source stuff on my other car (2017 Audi S3 / Simos18 ECU). Fully open source/free toolkit to unlock the ECU, flash it, definition files, custom code to include all new flex fuel logic with torque/boost multipliers and spark adders, a patch to bypass the silly OEM complex turbine models for boost control, etc. Bluetooth flashing, datalogging that is faster/better than any other commercial solution (RAM logger, I am logging about 73 params at 60 something hz) all with a free Android app. $70 esp32 based dongle you can buy online, etc...... all of this, and there has been virtually zero interest. Baffling to me, but I think the reality is only a small fraction of folks are interested in tuning, and of those, only a small fraction is interested in something away from the streamlined easy to use commercial solutions. The process isn't that bad to me, but for many it would be such a steep learning curve, they are happy to pay $1000+ for tuning hardware + tune and enjoy.

I was never able to get pcm hammer to work right with my OBDLink MX (and now I see its no longer recommended/supported). But I was thinking I would probably be able to flash this stuff with hp tuners. For LS1B you can convert .bin to .hpt for free and I do have my vehicle licensed with HPT. I have user defined parameters so I can make and import my own xdf for any new/changed calibration tables/values.

Anyways, for now I'm just going to try and get Ghidra setup and get my feet wet a little back into this stuff. I am not an ASW/OS wiz by any means but I can usually muddle my way through relatively simple things. I'll compare a stock bin to one that is patched with your xdf and go from there! Really interested in seeing the Wideband logic stuff, even though it's totally not required for my current NA build. But my other car is closed loop everything all the time and it's spoiled me and hey.....if you can, why not.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

That's really cool about the Audi A3. There's a good community around open source tools for Subarus around 2002-2010 or so as well, and I'm hoping we can get there with the P01/P59 PCMs too. Canbus makes me jealous though.... Higher speed data logging with our PCMs might work if we switch to 4x bus speed, but that's "higher" as in maybe 12-15 parameters at 20hz. :)

I've only just scratched the surface with Ghidra but it looks like a great tool for reverse engineering. And we should be able to use the same C compiler that we used for the PCM Hammer kernel, it will just take some work to stitch new code into the existing code.

I have an IDA Pro file with a ton of ROM addresses for the 7603 P59 operating system:
https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/12587603
There's an IDA Pro to Ghidra conversion plugin for IDA Pro, but it doesn't work with the version of IDA Pro that I have. But if someone has a newer version of IDA Pro, it should be be straightforward to convert my .idc file into something Ghidra can use.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
aaronc7
2017 Audi S3

Post by aaronc7 »

However EFILive does logging with these seems to be the best method, they called it fast streaming mode or something. It can do 24 channels/bytes at 10hz. I think HP tuners does the more typical $2C dynamic PID method. I guess what's nice about this is you can poll some DPIDs more or less often than others. I don't really have a device to sniff or else I would help look into whatever this "fast stream" method is.

I think I read at some point you were looking to convert your 2003 to P59? That's exactly what mine is--let me know if you need any help with the swap or getting flex fuel setup if you desire that. That was my project today-- making a good/better xdf for flex fuel with hptuners (it's missing quite a few tables).

I scoped out all of those documents on git about a year ago when I first looked into this flex fuel stuff. I used the csv converted file to look up a bunch of tables and such, it was super helpful, thank you!

I messed around a little with Ghidra but I think I'm missing a few things in the set up. Read thru some 'instructions/guides' on here for IDA and trying to figure out how that translates to Ghidra. When I set Ghidra up for Simos18, there was a section that showed / linked every RAM address to every time it was used in the code and I found that super helpful, but I can't seem to get that set up right for now. Almost all learning as I go here :). My OS/ASW mod experience so far is pretty simple stuff like changing an axis lookup for a table. Hope to do more in the future if/when I get time.

I was able to take a Boost OS patched bin and convert it to .hpt with the hptuners tune translator tool. The 4 bytes starting at 0x504 seemed to trip it up though and it gave me a definition error-- I'm guessing this somehow defined the layout or structure of the file that software references? Anyways, I kept those 4 bytes to stock values, and the .bin to .hpt convert worked and loaded up into hptuners etc. I didn't flash it... but presumably it's good to go and an option for guys to flash these mods. Of course they really need to know what they're doing and need the ability to import their own xdf etc..but still pretty cool.
ShorTuning
cars: 2002 Camaro
2002 Formula

Post by ShorTuning »

I'll try to test some on the next P59 vehicle I have in on the dyno. Being winter time here testing is somewhat minimized in the shop just from freezing with huge dyno fans etc going. But all of this is very interesting and once the bugs are worked out will be a very kickass option for the old P59 PCM!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

aaronc7 wrote:However EFILive does logging with these seems to be the best method, they called it fast streaming mode or something. It can do 24 channels/bytes at 10hz. I think HP tuners does the more typical $2C dynamic PID method. I guess what's nice about this is you can poll some DPIDs more or less often than others. I don't really have a device to sniff or else I would help look into whatever this "fast stream" method is.

I think I read at some point you were looking to convert your 2003 to P59? That's exactly what mine is--let me know if you need any help with the swap or getting flex fuel setup if you desire that. That was my project today-- making a good/better xdf for flex fuel with hptuners (it's missing quite a few tables).
2002, but same difference. :) I'll be swapping the PCM as soon as the green connector parts show up, hopefully later this week. As far as I can tell it's just moving an alternator wire from pin 52 on the red connector to pin 75 of the green connector, and then a BCM relearn process... and turning off the CEL codes for O2 sensor current... is there anything more to it?

If you have a picture of the wiring change that would be a helpful thing to compare against before make the change.

The PCM Logger app does 12 bytes at 10hz right now, so I'm curious as to how EFI Live is getting 24. I'm told there's a way to get the PCM to send data without requesting each new row of data, and I've experimented with it a little bit, but I haven't figured out how to make that work yet. Right now the app send a request, the PCM responds with a row, and that cycle repeats. If the app could send a "start streaming" request and just read row after row of data, I'm sure that would speed things up.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
ShorTuning
cars: 2002 Camaro
2002 Formula

Post by ShorTuning »

NSFW wrote:
aaronc7 wrote:However EFILive does logging with these seems to be the best method, they called it fast streaming mode or something. It can do 24 channels/bytes at 10hz. I think HP tuners does the more typical $2C dynamic PID method. I guess what's nice about this is you can poll some DPIDs more or less often than others. I don't really have a device to sniff or else I would help look into whatever this "fast stream" method is.

2002, but same difference. :) I'll be swapping the PCM as soon as the green connector parts show up, hopefully later this week. As far as I can tell it's just moving an alternator wire from pin 52 on the red connector to pin 75 of the green connector, and then a BCM relearn process... and turning off the CEL codes for O2 sensor current... is there anything more to it?

If you have a picture of the wiring change that would be a helpful thing to compare against before make the change.

The PCM Logger app does 12 bytes at 10hz right now, so I'm curious as to how EFI Live is getting 24. I'm told there's a way to get the PCM to send data without requesting each new row of data, and I've experimented with it a little bit, but I haven't figured out how to make that work yet. Right now the app send a request, the PCM responds with a row, and that cycle repeats. If the app could send a "start streaming" request and just read row after row of data, I'm sure that would speed things up.
You are correct on the field duty cycle pin swap. Some applications will have traction control spark retard wire in red connector pin 53 that will need to move to pin 12 on the same connector for the P59.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Thanks! Not sure if the C5 is one of those applications but I'll check.