vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: vs v8 vortech

Post by vlad01 »

Does your WB have a calibration sequence when starting up? eg. 10->13.3->16.6->20.

These let you dial in your 0 and 5V values until the fixed ref AFRs on the start up sequence matches from dash in TP to the specified values. The physical gauge also can be out as a lot of them use the analog input which can cause the same sort of offset if the gauge isn't also calibrated and I am pretty sure most if not all gauges don't offer any sort of calibration.

So calibrate the WB in TP and ignore the physical gauge. I have used an innovate I think? in the past and it's gauge was off.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vscapricetim
cars: vs caprice

Post by vscapricetim »

I have an innovate mtx-l so I don't think it has that start up function. Just calibrate in the open air. I have set 0v at 7.35afr and 5v at 22.39afr as per the instructions
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Bugga! that's not much help then. I use the 14point7 controller without gauges and it says 0v 10 afr and 5v 20 afr but when looking in TP both values were off some so I found out the controller sequences 10,13.3,16.6,20 at start up so I adjusted the 0v and 5v until all of the sequence values were spot on in TP. I have 2 controllers and they were both slightly different and different again with each ECU I used them on.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vscapricetim

Post by vscapricetim »

Hmmmm. What's the point of a gauge if it's out haha I'm happy just to log through the ecu and not worry bout the gauge if I've set it up correctly
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Exactly! I think most other reputable brands these days use a gauge that uses a digital link to the controller, eliminating such issues.

I have always avoided innovate stuff, imho they are garbage that happen to have a brand name behind them which many end up buying and not knowing they aren't that flash.

I am hearing the AEM ones are good and have quickly got a good rep. I don't know what the current 14Point7 ones are like but they were a solid and simple product when I purchased my 1st and 2nd gen Spartan controllers. I think they are on their 3rd gen now which is way different and more capable, but being a box is rather bulky for in car installation if you want a permanent install.
vscapricetim

Post by vscapricetim »

Yeah well that does suck! I bought it years ago but now have only found the time to get it installed and start using it..

I may have to just get used to knowing it'll be 1.5afr lean all the time which could be a pain in the ass.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Maybe you can do a crude calibration against a standard o2 sensor readout in TP? Assuming you have more than one bung in the exhaust.
vscapricetim

Post by vscapricetim »

Exhaust has the standard o2 sensor, a bunged port and the wideband
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Well in that case you should be able to do a crude calibration. Be hard to do as the nb o2 is very sensitive around 14.7 that it will be very jumpy but maybe the monitor graph will make it easier to compare to the wb reading.
vscapricetim

Post by vscapricetim »

Hmmm, that's way out of my league haha