Best way to manually enable & disable TCC

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
rjdrew1986

Best way to manually enable & disable TCC

Post by rjdrew1986 »

98% of my driving is < 55mph up & down lots of hills. The TCC works fine but with so many hills I'd prefer to add a means to manually disable the TCC function for the daily commutes and an enable for the rare interstate trips. The best method that I can come up with is to install a pushbutton toggle switch in series to the TCC solenoid and disable all TCC alarms in the calibration. Does anyone have a better method? And does anyone see any potential downside to this method?

Thanks, I sure learn a lot from you folks !!
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Best way to manually enable & disable TCC

Post by immortality »

Does the vehicle have a power/economy button? Normally when i power mode (on our Commodores) it will hold gears longer and keep the TCC unlocked more as well. This might be enough or you could change the TCC lockup in power mode to keep it unlocked.
rjdrew1986

Post by rjdrew1986 »

Good suggestion, thanks. Sorry for the delayed response. My Regal has the normal/Perf toggle pushbutton and I exercise (2) transmission tunes which does OK for helping. Unfortunately, my LeSabre does not have this option. This is a frustrating thing to me with ECU's in general. With off-the-shelf micro-controllers or PLCs, its easy to address issues such as this. In this case it would be adding a switched input and in the program use the added switched input to serve as a TCC permissive. Or possibly no added switch is needed by allowing the program to detect interstate driving and enable the TCC permissive. Since ECUs don't have this level of flexibility, I'll probably add the switch in series to the TCC solenoid and disable the TCC alarms in the calibration.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

What car is it? On VN-VP the factory spec is somewhere around 80km/h but on later cars and in 12P tune it's more like 65km/h which is pretty early. You can always raise it to be more like the early models which means it won't come on for your commute but will on the highway where it helps with economy.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.