VN V8 xdf

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
blackvr
cars: VNV8 Commodore

VN V8 xdf

Post by blackvr »

Guys, I am new to the delco tuning... I have mainly done Mitsubishi and Nissan eprom writing ( with Tuner Pro). I have a friends VNV8 that I have just rebuilt with a stroker kit and 286 Crane Cam. From past experience, I reckon I will have to upsize the injectors. Therefore, I will definitely need to redo the eprom.

I have the readers and eprom burning gear and feel pretty comfortable with the whole thing. I have checked the xdf files listed on this site, but am not sure which version I use to read the bin I have pulled from the memcal. I really need to work out why you label them with the prefixes.

Is there a guide or tutorial somewhere that I can use to put me onto the right path ? Or at least point me in the direction of a suitable definition file. I have spent a lot of time reading this interesting site !

Cheers Mike
miloman
cars: vn holden

Re: VN V8 xdf

Post by miloman »

should be writen on the memcal when you take it out and take the cover off it should be on a sticker stuck to the eeprom
like mine has written ATJN and if you look in the bin section under ATJN you see the $5D under it .
Look for your bin file there and you will see which xdf you need
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yep thats 100% correct, but also condider OSE12S or P and the serial mods to get the 8192 baud logging...
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
blackvr

Post by blackvr »

Thanks guys, I reckon I can read the rom now. I have a ASBX9285memcal, and I used the $5D def file to read it.

The next question is .. if I alter the VE table and the spark table, what effect will this have on the checksum . Is the checksum important for Delco chip writing and how do I correct it ? Is it a simple matter of turning it off, or how do I sus what number it needs to see ?

Cheers Mike
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the $5D xdf will save the new checksum for you automatically so just change away . or you can set the program id to AA to disable checksum calculation.i think i have a 286 bin lieing round somewhere ill see if i can find it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
blackvr

Post by blackvr »

Delcowizard... your help is appreciated !! This 383 stroker I'm sure is going to make some good torque with a remap !!

Mike
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

no wonder you thought youde need new injectors LOL 383 will max out stock v8 ones fast as hence why the 355 strokers had the bluetop 24lb ones ide say you gonna need bigger still
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
blackvr

Post by blackvr »

Sure will need bigger injectors ... especially since I'll be running E85 ethanol. I will be using Siemens 910cc injectors. It would be good to have a peek at the 286 map to get an idea of where to start. If I use the 27C256 eprom, Ican have a petrol map and E85 on the same chip and switch between the two via a switch on the dash. I do this on a few Mitsubishis I do. Mike
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

if you use VL400's $12p bin when it comes out you can have 8192 baud data, realtime capability and E85 and petrol on the same bin :D it has every fuel ratio table duplicated and map switch input to go between them.