102 - Advanced Tuning Of A Delco ECM with $12P

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Holden202T

102 - Advanced Tuning Of A Delco ECM with $12P

Post by Holden202T »

Ok well as you know this has been in the works for a long time, main thing thats allowed me to get it finished quicker is my recent addition of a turbo on my car and my brothers, nothing like first hand tuning experience to get all the screen shots and such needed to put it all together.

So this document is the first version and is pretty much a part 2 for anyone thats thoroughly understood "Basic Tuning Of A Delco ECM" and wants to expand on that or go further with their tuning.

Please by all means pick it apart and let me know if its wrong, not clear enough, etc or if you want other topics covered we can look at adding that info to the updated version.

Above all i hope it helps some people!!
Advanced Tuning Of A Delco ECM - V1.02.pdf
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 6494 times
Also the basics of tuning can be found here: 101 - Basic Tuning Of A Delco ECU with $12P
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: 102 - Advanced Tuning Of A Delco ECM with $12P

Post by Dylan »

Good job! I will re read the other version then this one again. For a new comer like me its great that someone like yourself can go to this trouble.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you can thank my current employer for having lots of dodgy shit that not documented for me making this :)
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Large (possibly global) company in some sort of industrial environment?
If so, I know what you mean, I'm in similar position. You go to work so you can do stuff for home?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

no I was referring to them having no doco for a lot of stuff so I was the one that made it :) but yes I do IT for a mining company :P
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Just read through this and found one error ;) nothing major so far hehehe
stevemc32

Post by stevemc32 »

Thanks for putting the two guides together, even though I haven't started any tuning I've found them really helpful in understanding how to go about it and will be a great resource when I do get underway.

At the end of the Advanced document you described the function of each of the rev limiting parameters and I think that format is fantastic and provides a great learning tool. Is there a document, or is one planned, that will list all of the $12P parameters and their operational significance. I understand that a lot of the info can be found searching through threads but often there is a discussion on the general function but not on the individual items.

Thanks again, great work.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I am happy to add sections to the document with things that people might require like the rev limiter stuff, but honestly most of the other stuff 99% of the time you don't need to touch anyways and that is mainly why its not covered very much anywhere.

a lot of people tend to over complicate tuning, for example, I tuned a V6 sprintcar, which is basically a commodore v6 in a sprintcar chassis, so its got throttle body on the top of the manifold, whatever exhaust they like and they run them on methanol with bigger injectors to suit, but they are pretty much a stock motor other than that. The tables I needed to touch for that were:

* injector rate constant
* ve table
* idle and main spark tables
* injector battery offset
* first and second stage cranking BPW tables

that is all I needed to touch, other than things like fan on temp and idle speed but these are normal for anyone really.

the point I'm trying to make is a lot of the time you don't need to touch the other stuff and in doing so it only complicates things!

note: I didn't mention that I changed all the AFR tables from petrol to methanol numbers because this is out of the realm of normal tuning for most people and if you don't understand it I don't even recommend going there :P
stevemc32

Post by stevemc32 »

Yep that makes sense, it's just very daunting to see so many different parameters and not have a clue what they actually do.

Your advanced guide on changing AFR tables for different fuel types is actually very clear and easy to understand. Great work.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i understand what your saying, i've had a crapload of experience with MAP systems but as far as MAF systems go i am a noob, i guess its what you deal with, you soon learn and the best way to learn is by doing it, i looked at heaps of tunes before i actually had a car to tune on and i didn't pick alot up till i was actually making meaningful changes!