102 - Advanced Tuning Of A Delco ECM with $12P

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
delcowizzid

Re: 102 - Advanced Tuning Of A Delco ECM with $12P

Post by delcowizzid »

you may find changing the cranking advance via your trigger setup and resetting ecu reference angle to suit that you could get it to start even better again
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Holden202T wrote:ok so I added another 10 % to my numbers and it really made no difference, so I guess theres a point where you get better results then after that its purely methanol is a prick to start cold :)

also another thing for you to check, theres a table "A/F Ratio - Initial Run A/F Ratio Offset vs Coolant Temperature" (prefixed with map a and b) these are how much it offsets the AFR when first starting, I got caught with this one not changing the numbers to methanol offsets and this can almost flood the motor after it starts! it might be somewhere to look on the dato too just to check its right.
These are still set at std figures, how much should I alter them by? eg 5%,10%
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

ok so if they are stock V6 figures ... what injectors are you running, 60lbs ? if that's the case you probably want to divide the number by 3 to make it 60lb for petrol, then you'll want to multiply that by 2.3 for methanol offset.

ok below is the cbpw settings I have in a v6 sprintcar methanol tune, 60lb injectors and stock motor mostly.
methanol 60lb injector cbpw settings.jpg
methanol 60lb injector cbpw settings.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 25659 times
they should give you a fair guide on where to set it up... also make sure that table on the right (A/F Ratio - Initial Run A/F Ratio Offset vs Coolant Temperature) is correct or close to that one otherwise you'll find it will fire no problems then almost flood! it is the AFR offset (so only divide by 2.3) like choke used when the motor first starts, and for example, at 20 degrees a commanded AFR of 6.4 will be offset by 2.2 which is fuckloads, let alone if its petrol figures which are 2.3 times more than 2.2 :P

also note in the top temps I've set it all to 1.3 as that's what the customer wanted, normally the AFR richens in the top to help with hot motor starting.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Thanks. The 1st & 2nd stage cranking was Ok, but the "A/F Ratio - Initial Run A/F Ratio Offset vs Coolant Temperature" wasn't. I had altered the VP to similar figures to yours but I didn't alter the Dato, might explain why it can be hard to start at times. :oops:
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

:thumbup:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Note to all, first post on this thread has been updated with v1.01 of the advanced guide.

Added from previous v1.00:-

* Minor Spelling/Grammar Corrections.
* Barometric Pressure - Naturally Aspirated and Boosts.
* Burst Knock Retard (RKRTD).
* RPM Derivative Spark Control (RDSC).
* Idle Drive (ID).
* Tip-In Bump Spark (TIBS).
* Idle Spark Adjustment (ISA).

Please download the latest version and delete v1.00.

Big thanks to VL400 for the info most of which he provided.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I've just uploaded v1.02 to the first post in this thread, purely just an update to the cover page thanks to The1's artistic skills!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

So my understanding is, if i want to stabilize low speed oscillation but still have touchy throttle response I disable TIBS and leave the rest as default?

by default I recall everything is on so its smooth all round but the TIBS kills off response and take off performance. Does RDSC need to be enabled for TIBS to work?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
stevedarman
cars: VX commodore

Post by stevedarman »

I have set up a flex table output and saved as a cal file
How do i put this into my bin file?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

just upload the cal file to the car and then you can download a complete bin if you need that.