General Tuning Questions And Discussions
ralcool
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

VS SC $51 Enhanced on T5

Post by ralcool »

Hey all

I thought I'd post a topic to share some code, some pics, some results.

Long story real short.

The factory code for the VS SC CKUM, even with the transmission flags disabled- is shit to drive as a manual. It pig roots and carries on at light throttle and low rpm.

Probably no surprise to anyone really. I converted over to 'The1's version of my memcal for later upgrades.

Some time learning and investigating, with the aid of the memcal tool (unmolested bins to study)

I've discovered the primary reason hiding in the spark tables.

I've found heaps of different things like the IAC tables, and RDSC, and IDLE spark- most of which I've copied over with some level of guess work.
bwls_spark_table_s.jpg
bwls_spark_table_s.jpg (169.92 KiB) Viewed 8529 times
then its related by birth auto version
bwlt_spark_table_s.jpg
bwlt_spark_table_s.jpg (170.7 KiB) Viewed 8529 times
And the similarities to CKUM / $51_VS_Enhanced - Autos have a lot of timing dialed in down low, torque converter load probably.
ckum_spark_table_2_s.jpg
ckum_spark_table_2_s.jpg (217.35 KiB) Viewed 8529 times
So, I've gone and transfered the cells up to 1800 rpm, and 250gr/sec like so, and shaved *10 more degrees in the first two impossible columns.
ckum_spark_table_3_s.jpg
ckum_spark_table_3_s.jpg (208.7 KiB) Viewed 8527 times
And the difference is incredible. I picked these cells after watching/replaying the log trace bubble while driving at low rpm and seeing crazy advanced timing on almost no throttle. Car park and traffic light crawling type stuff.

These is still a long way to go to finish my tune, but I feel a lot closer to the end than at the start.

Thoughts?

Edited for pic scaling.
Last edited by ralcool on Fri May 22, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holden202T

Re: VS SC $51 Enhanced on T5

Post by Holden202T »

looks like your on the right track!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Thanks for posting such detail with all the screen shots. Well documented. I think I'll FAQ this.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I've noticed similair things on cars with large cam shafts and manual trans.
Less timing doen low helps with the pig rooting. A richer afr does help but I've found less timing is better.

Good work though always good to have a win.
ralcool
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

Cheers for the feedback

I'll post up the remainder of the essential changes shortly... after I clean up and re-visit some areas.

It was a bit like playing whack a mole, I'd been throwing a ideas at the wall, making changes to see what sticks.

Until playing back the log files in real time and what I had to see was a light bulb moment. TPS vs CylAIR vs Advance vs RPM
using the monitors screen.

Remembering that we have that bubble trace feature in TP5 proved beyond doubt what the ecu was doing... awesome.

Now though I have a odd new problem with an inexplicable difference with LH & RH LTFT trims...

I have only one old log file from February or so (due to a data loss) showing these trims working correctly, now they don't

Its like the LH LTFT trims don't work properly like the RH LTFT data does (LH will show as only +/- 0.78) RH might show a range eg, -8.00 to - 11.71

Both L & STFT seem okay, changing quickly, but if you read the STFT history, they differ by the LTFT data each load point..

Its like the LH bank isn't updating LTFT .... Do I have to reset the ecu.. did I disable it somehow???

I'll capture some images to show the problem... its driving me nuts.
lhltft.jpg
lhltft.jpg (125.53 KiB) Viewed 8495 times
rhltft.jpg
rhltft.jpg (129.62 KiB) Viewed 8495 times
stft.jpg
stft.jpg (210.05 KiB) Viewed 8491 times
Here's the log file if you are interested. (45mins long) VS_V6_SC_$51_Enhanced_v1.0a.adx to play I guess.
tocolac5.zip
(569.74 KiB) Downloaded 465 times

I've changed the O2 sensors fault finding, umm- I'll know is I have evidence that a different surviving log showed it was okay a few months ago.
good_trims.jpg
good_trims.jpg (28.07 KiB) Viewed 8491 times
Random screen grab when looking normal.

Weird.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Great info ralcool :thumbup:

The O2 sensor grounding is an issue that stuffs the bank to bank fuel trims - http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/hol ... oblem.html

The sensors dont look lazy in the log, but you could also swap sensors between banks and see if the fault follows.
The1

Post by The1 »

Good info, will be good to point people here to help.

Ive usually done the same on auto tunes to manual, change the idle and start of the spark maps and throttle follower tables over and it usually runs fine and doesn't have any stalling issues.
ralcool
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

Hey VL400

That seems to do the trick.

I carefully watched the monitor trace while clipping a link wire between d14/16, and finally a2.
solved.jpg
solved.jpg (306.49 KiB) Viewed 8406 times
As a result it looks okay at this point, but it will need a drive to know for sure. The trace lines are identical in this shot.. superimposed, in the driveway.

Linking the O2 sensor grounds evened things up immediately, then A2 brought them to zero. No more mv split between spikes.

Tomorrow is booked for a drive by the missus into town. I'll put the laptop under the seat and log until it passes out into hibernation.

:driving:

Thanks guys.

And yes, I made a permanent link wire soldered and taped. But that is all at this stage, I cleaned up the block grounding points as well before testing.