Haltech has finally caught up to Delco

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Re: Haltech has finally caught up to Delco

Post by krusty »

vlad01 wrote:I heard they are big in the scrap metal game.

Would be expensive scrap metal lol.

While they don't represent anything along the lines of value for money, the data acquisition is very good as long as someone has spent a small fortune on all the add on modules. Things like waste gate position monitoring and very easily expanded modules that are plug and play can be valuable on big dollar combos. Believe it or not there are some guys that actually don't think about money when getting their tuner to set up a management system lol. Crazy right? :P
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

if money isn't a concern then why not motec? they are far superior to others on the market and overtaken delco capability in some areas recently too. easy to use to for anyone that has tuned a delco, quite similar interface I have noted.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
krusty

Post by krusty »

vlad01 wrote:if money isn't a concern then why not motec? they are far superior to others on the market and overtaken delco capability in some areas recently too. easy to use to for anyone that has tuned a delco, quite similar interface I have noted.
You'd have to ask those customers that I guess
v8-tuning
cars: 304 commodore

Post by v8-tuning »

vlad01 wrote:Wasn't there someone recently raving about haltech being the way to go? lol, why would anyone say that I wonder?
The point was made there are more tuners available to do them
they are not better by any means but sometimes the customer has no choice.
Only other alternative is kalmaker and depending where you are theres not many tuners around.
I like the delco ecu never have I said that a haltech is the way to go.
Iv'e even replaced a couple with 808's in the past.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

whats that? I can't hear, too many engines purring like kittens on delcos.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

The thread you were talking about. Fair enough comments. It often is about the tuner. Delcos are usually a good option but not the only one and not always the best depending on how you define best.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
v8-tuning
cars: 304 commodore

Post by v8-tuning »

vlad01 wrote:whats that? I can't hear, too many engines purring like kittens on delcos.
I can assure you there are plenty! :thumbup:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

damn right! :thumbup:

Sorry, I've just been stirring ya for fun lol, you do make some valid points about not a lot of people knowing the delco platform in a commercial sense.
krusty

Post by krusty »

antus wrote:The thread you were talking about. Fair enough comments. It often is about the tuner. Delcos are usually a good option but not the only one and not always the best depending on how you define best.
Great point. Meeting the customers needs is more important than lining the tuners pockets. Sometimes you can advise a customer on a delco as cheapest and best option but they just don't want it. Can lead a horse to water........
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

The way I look at that is the manufacturer spends 10s if not 100s of millions on developing these things to suit a wide variety of different configurations so the first option should always be OEM tuning if it is possible. The thing with the Delco is various people have done the hard work to open up after market tuning options. If the car come with a Delco and there is a good tuning option like 11P, 12P, or The1s EnhancedMods (even Kalmaker if the tuner has it) then the tuner should explain to the customer what his real options are.

It's the exact same scenario with Fords, Nissans., and Honda. T.I. Performance has done the hard work with Fords and TunerPro. Nistune has done the hard work with Nissan ECUs and Consult. Hondata has done the hard work with Honda ECUs and their range of tuning software. Keep the OEM ECU if it is possible is what I have advised people to do. If you must have after market then do your research and be aware of the pitfalls.