antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Fault Code 47 & 49 VX $A5k

Post by antus »

You can never be 100% and need to trust your supplier but I would say that one probably is as the title says genuine and the brand, and it shows a branded box in the pics.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Ok so now I have tried a different cam sensor & a brand new genuine cas but still has the same issue... I did notice sometimes it triggers fault 49 before 47 & vice versa!

To add to the confusion it has an aftermarket cam gear that I'm not 100% convinced it's in the right spot for pick up, but it also has a power bond harmonic balancer that looks to have been played with by previous workers as the 4 bolts that hold the trigger wheel to it are completely round off Allen key internals!
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

O.k. so there's a BIG story to this but in short I couldn't identify the reason's for these fault codes & don't have an oscilloscope or know how to read the pattern properly so I had to let the job go out with the fault codes as it wasn't triggering CEL & wasn't causing any known issues.

2 months after it leaving me it started to develop an intermittent not starting issue, loosing inj pulse but not spark & now it was starting to loose 18x signal.

So I borrowed an oscilloscope & pattern out of cam signal didn't look clean & tried another sensor & same & next time I tested it it was ok, I tried externally powering the sensor & sending that external signal back to DFI & the fault code stayed away for a day....
I tried another DFI then & before that numerous times & same deal good for a day & then fault back...

I was out of options & told the customer I "THINK" it's a fault with wiring harness but can't gaurantee it, he was told by a few other people the harness was damaged & repaired in places & the pins on DFI weren't good anyway so he wanted it replaced regardless...

VT-VX memcal style harness's have been obsolete from GM for a while & he couldn't get a hold of a descent 1 anywhere, but found a VX-VY flash style harness in "VERY GOOD" condition & I said it would be hard as I'd need to repin ecm connectors but I could do it...

Then when I got the harness I quickly saw another issue trans PRNDL harness different & not long after that realised the main power plugs on VT-VX memcal style have the 3 plugs behind the brake master cyl & VX-VY have it near the ecm connectors inside footwell...

I knew it would be a lot of work but fark n hell it was a mission but finally got it done & seems to have fixed fault codes but there are 3 bonus wires on the 3 plug connector I had to patch across that don't seem to have a place anymore????

Everything seems to be working o.k. but can't test everything on the car so I was wondering if anyone here knows the wires in those connectors well enough to give ideas?

There's 1 wire on each of the 3 plugs...
White with black trace which is just near the green wire for horn in that same plug,
Black with white trace in the next plug &
Light blue wire on the last plug.

Any ideas or thoughts would be awesome.
brindo

Post by brindo »

White wire with the black trace - that doesn't go over to the diagnostic connector does it?
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I think I'll have to have a closer look at ECM wiring, I'm guessing it's bcm or similar controls to ECM the flash pcm doesn't use, I had no left over pins on the brown ECM plugs but there could be extra for the pink blue now after thinking about it.