Abbreviations

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Re: Abbreviations

Post by TdracerTd »

So is it like versions? For instance why is $12p $12p?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

$ in some languages means hex. P in this case means "pro" as in more features. $12, as in 0x12 (another way of writing 12 in hex) means factory $12 code, which is the version released for the VR V6, with the 8192 baud computer and as many factory refinements as exist. "pro" includes boost support and flex outputs and 128 byte packet size (for speed) and all the other goodies vl400 added to the code. See http://pcmhacking.net/memcals.html
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

OK, two more I'd like to know : MDI and RFI. If the latter is Radio Frequency Interference, what has that got to do with Police versions of ECU code?

Joe.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

all the high powered transmitters, radios and equipment in a police car has the potential to induce interference within the ECU circuits possibly causing hiccups, CPU crashes, glitches etc.

The shielding provides extra protection from this.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

TdracerTd wrote:So is it like versions? For instance why is $12p $12p?
Just to also add why the P was for pro, there was actually an unreleased S version originally. It was a sort of proof it was all going to work, being from a disassembled bin and made in to source code there was a heap that could go wrong. So it had no extra engine functions added, was only things like the NVRAM write, larger packet sizes and calibration memory allocation change. Was ran by a few early adopters in various cars.

On a side note the current 12PV112 is 34572 lines of assembly code (includes comments though), 11P is 56054 lines :shock:
j_ds_au wrote:MDI
Multiple Diagnostic Interface
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

As above for rfi. Also worth noting the code is not different in an rfi pcm, just it uses a metal socket where the loom enters the pcm instead of plastic. The metal connector uses the same pin configuration but has different keyways so you cant plug the regular connector in to the metal socket.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

excuse the ignorance, but why would it have a metal socket??? so it can be earthed???

why don't they use the same protection now??? was it all BS...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Because metal blocks radio interference (especially when earthed) and plastic doesnt. How much of a difference it makes in this case, I dont know. The interference can get through the wire insulation, but perhaps it does help keep it from directly entering the main board. They probably had a design target to meet and the metal plug made the difference needed. I dont know what they currently do - are you saying the pcms are standard? But if the ecms are under the bonnet rather than in the cabin maybe its a better spot as the car body and bonnet block the signals better than in the cabin where it can get in through the windows. But then its closer to spark interfearance. Perhaps the metal shielding on the more modern regular PCMs is better. I know the 0411 on my desk has metal around the connector ingress point in the standard configuration.

General information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromag ... terference and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
Attachments
VS RFI PCM.jpg
VS RFI PCM.jpg (510.95 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

thanks antus, makes sense :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

VL400 wrote:
TdracerTd wrote:So is it like versions? For instance why is $12p $12p?
Just to also add why the P was for pro, there was actually an unreleased S version originally. It was a sort of proof it was all going to work, being from a disassembled bin and made in to source code there was a heap that could go wrong. So it had no extra engine functions added, was only things like the NVRAM write, larger packet sizes and calibration memory allocation change. Was ran by a few early adopters in various cars.

On a side note the current 12PV112 is 34572 lines of assembly code (includes comments though), 11P is 56054 lines :shock:
antus wrote:$ in some languages means hex. P in this case means "pro" as in more features. $12, as in 0x12 (another way of writing 12 in hex) means factory $12 code, which is the version released for the VR V6, with the 8192 baud computer and as many factory refinements as exist. "pro" includes boost support and flex outputs and 128 byte packet size (for speed) and all the other goodies vl400 added to the code. See http://pcmhacking.net/memcals.html
Cool stuff. I like finding out this sort of info.

Off topic I know, but will $12p ever support spark cut? or is this a hardware limitation?

Thanks