Where can I go to ask some stupid question about Kalmaker?

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Mr DOHC
cars: VP Maloo

Where can I go to ask some stupid question about Kalmaker?

Post by Mr DOHC »

I'm starting out tuning a Kalmaker in my 355 VP, and I need to ask a few things about the gibberish menus etc. is this a good place as the Kalmaker site seems dead.

Cheers
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Where can I go to ask some stupid question about Kalmake

Post by Dylan »

Quite a few on here have used and still have it. Fire away
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

You could ask here or ask there.
I know people do check the Kalmaker forum so you may get answers within a few days of asking.
Mr DOHC
cars: VP Maloo

Post by Mr DOHC »

Cheers mate.

Well i have a VP with a 355, Crane 284 baby cam and some longevity mods.
It just doesnt have any good top end, it takes off quite well, and the mid range at part-half throttle is great. I don't have access to a dyno or anyone with a WB02 so i can't tell what its doing up around 3200-4000

GEN:OPT:EOPTA i have only the Look up airfuel turned on, does this ONLY look up the table when its in closed loop, and when i pin it and go to 100kpa, does it switch over to the FUL:OUT:VE[map,rpm] map and use the bars to adjust fuel?
blownvp

Post by blownvp »

It looks up the tables closed and open loop. it uses the afr tables through the complete load range.if the table has 14.7 it will running closed loop if the engine coolant is up to a certain temperature and the narrow band oxygen sensor will correct the fuelling to target 14.7 afr any other number that is not 14.7 will switch to open loop and their will be no correction the ve map is used through the complete load range.if the ve map is close in the 14.7 areas of the afr table the closed loop narrow band will correct it thats the short term and long term fuel trims.the ve map in the open loop areas has no correction thats where you need a wideband and you adjust the ve map till your target afr matches the wideband or as close as you can get at the different load points.leave the lookup afr option turned on.the ful out ve map rpm controls fuelling through the whole load range.equation: ve x cylinder size x injector rate x injector offset x charge temp divided by afr=injector output miilliseconds.ive had the sp3 rt ecu and software for 12 years now had it on a couple of supercharged v6 engines.can take a while to work it all out then its a very flexible system.if you havent already download a copy of the kalmaker uses guide. cheers darren.
Last edited by blownvp on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:42 am, edited 12 times in total.
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Post by krusty »

Log in List/ Main/ Fuel and you will see which tables it is looking up for fuel control. Won't be an AFR table as such but an injector time multiplier. Even log while stationary to see where and when TAE and TPE come in then track back to those tables.

I'd suggest getting a wide band onto it asap as that cam requires a lot more fuel delivery in the top end so you're probably running out near stoichiometric 14s AFR where it should be 12.8-13 leanest.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

Mr DOHC wrote:Well i have a VP with a 355, Crane 284 baby cam and some longevity mods.
It just doesnt have any good top end, it takes off quite well, and the mid range at part-half throttle is great. I don't have access to a dyno or anyone with a WB02 so i can't tell what its doing up around 3200-4000
What injectors? If you are running standard 5 litre injectors you'll be running lean, if you are running blue tops you might be ok but without more information it is hard to tell. You really do need a wideband for tuning.
Mr DOHC wrote:GEN:OPT:EOPTA i have only the Look up airfuel turned on, does this ONLY look up the table when its in closed loop, and when i pin it and go to 100kpa, does it switch over to the FUL:OUT:VE[map,rpm] map and use the bars to adjust fuel?
Already been answered.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Post your bin up we can take a look.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

Also post what calibration you started with and the setting changes you made to it in the same post as the bin.
Things like
Calibration = BDJH (BDJH is the best starting point for banana manifolds)
11- GEN:OPT:EOPTCA. = ? (turn on VE Update, turn on VECT Enable, turn off BLM).
64 SPK:OUT:REFANG = 60 (sometimes it will show 59. something)
111 FUL:OUT:INJRAT = ? (blue tops are .186, Gen 3 Grey are .170, Ford Motorsport Reds are .153, and L67 are .130, I don't have the number for standard 5 litre because they are not big enough)
112 FUL:OUT:CYLSIZ = 715 (a stroker is 715 a normal 5 litre is 625)

Do you have a knock sensor? Is it wired up to the ECM?

Some light reading for you
http://www.kalmaker.com.au/page38.html
http://www.kalmaker.com.au/page56.html
http://www.kalmaker.com.au/page53.html
http://www.kalmaker.com.au/page42.html
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Is this the same guy from JC who is running a 355 through a single 2.25" Y pipe before the full twin system?