Tuning for cold air

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Holden202T

Re: Tuning for cold air

Post by Holden202T »

yeah so that basically tells me its probably running in a part of the table that you haven't seen before so should be easily tunable, just a matter of getting it logged and adjusted.
The1

Post by The1 »

yeh and also having mods done will change things!
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

Regular fuelling modes aren't affected by the air temp sensor, but Acceleration Enrichment has an air temp term which could be contributing to the increased fuel consumption
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

But AE would only be temporary so more fuel maybe on throttle movement but it shouldn't effect fueling otherwise?
charlay86

Post by charlay86 »

yes, correct, only on throttle increase. although the table may bot be calibrated to have much effect in a standard cal.
The colder the air your engine is breathing the more power it will make and obviously more air (colder air = denser air; n=PV/RT) needs more fuel.
It sounds like your CAI is working properly then. Maybe you need a HAI for cold weather fuel economy?
I remember my old alfa sprint had an exhaust "stove" to provide hot air to the air box in cold weather.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

My understanding is by having denser air, greater efficient can be had from a given engine, as long as the engine itself isn't cold due to the negative effects of the quench effect.

To me it sounds like the amount of fuel is excessive for the increase in volume, ie out of calibration.

No point in guess work, you need a wideband.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
charlay86

Post by charlay86 »

the difficulty is that the PCM sees engine load increase with colder air (which is correct) but as the load is increased the AFR decreases etc. any table with cylinder air mass as an axis will be affected.

I'm not sure there is any simple way (ie calibration) around the issue, as we don't have an IAT AFR modifier
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

how does it see a load increase? Wouldn't it see less due to less TPS? Load is how much the engine has to work to produce power, a more effect engine has lower load at a given output.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
charlay86

Post by charlay86 »

MAF system uses Cylinder Air Mass as the load variable.
Denser air -> more load.
consider the open loop AFR table for instance, the axis are RPM and Cylinder Air Mass.
The TPS won't have any effect if the denser air pushes the CAM up and richens the AFR.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I guess we won't really know until we get some really cold weather again and I can get some datalogs of what is going on.

MY thinking as that if the engine is making X power to maintain cruise speed with warm air using Y throttle %age than changing to cooler air the engine would make more power so you would reduce the throttle %age to achieve the same power and cruise speed.

Wouldn't load be more a function of the TPS?