VT V8 into VR

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
IMA355-2
cars: VR SS T56 6 Speed 3.9 diff

VT V8 into VR

Post by IMA355-2 »

hi guys
so I have a VR SS still with the original stock motor. I found a low km VT 5l for a great price and am keen to swap it over.
just have a couple of questions.
1. I know its sequential injection and my stock ecu wont run it. but I have read a few times that you can just swap the manifold and dizzy over from the vs to the Vt motor and it will all work? is that the case or is there more to it?

2. I have a performance tune in the car and as far as im aware the Vr motor has a compression ratio of 8.4 to 1? and the Vt has 8.8 to one? am I going to need another tune or will it be pretty close? I always run 98 octane fuel in it.

3. it doesn't come with the alternator but has the brackets and all the stuff to bolt it up. I have a 120 amp alternator on the car now and I think the Vt runs multi rib belts instead of V belts. can I just get the pulley changed on my one or do I need to buy a VT one ?

cheers in advance guys :D
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: VT V8 into VR

Post by Dylan »

Fit a pre VT intake and wiring loom and dissy and all will run.
The VT has a fair different cam than previous engine's to do it would need a tune up to suit.
IMA355-2

Post by IMA355-2 »

sweet, thought so :thumbup:
im guessing no one has a tune suited to the VT engine for a 424 ecu lying around ? lol
IMA355-2

Post by IMA355-2 »

Do you know if you can just copy the fuel and spark tables from a 195i or a stock 179kw tune from the vt ecu and put them into the tune that I have in my current version ecu? I have an eeprom already in me Vr but I'll probably get nvram at some stage to tune it properly but at least the stock 195 tables will get it running and then I just need to see how it idles and adjust from there ?
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

It'll tibon the current one. Get a wideband and dial it in right.

But you can't use much of the VT tune as it's a MAF based set up.