Rear mount turbo VR SS

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
IMA355-2
cars: VR SS T56 6 Speed 3.9 diff

Rear mount turbo VR SS

Post by IMA355-2 »

Hi guys
Anyone got experience with rear mounting a turbo on a vr sedan?
Had a bit of a look u der the back of it. There a bit of rust in the bottom of the spare wheel well so my plan was too cut it off at the same level as the boot floor and weld in a plate. This would create a bucket load of room for a turbo next to the fuel tank?

i have a t56 and 3.9 diff gears and a ceramic 700hp clutch so I don't need to spend any money on the driveline
I have a vt roller motor to go into it may give it a freshen up with some forged slugs and arp bolts. Would the stock roller cam be ok for boost?
What head gasket do you guys suggest?
I have supercharged 6 injectors what hp are they capable of supplying ?
Not looking to run 20psi of boost or anything but want to setup for future mods so a turbo on the bigger side would be preferable any recommendations

Really like the look of the whipple chargers but I need both my arms and legs lol

Thanx in advance :thumbup:
L67PSI
cars: L67 VT Calais

Re: Rear mount turbo VR SS

Post by L67PSI »

I ran a rear mount t3/t4 turbo in a VP V6 sedan. I mounted turbo where middle muffler was positioned just in front of rear axle. The supercharged 6 injectors can support over 200rwkw on a L67 v6, not sure what 8 of them can support.

You will need a scavenge pump for oil return to engine. I'm sure others will chime in about the head gaskets.

Are you planning to use the factory computer? If so you will need a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor.
IMA355-2

Post by IMA355-2 »

Yeah planning on using the factory ecu, have an nvram and wideband already
Was you car live axle or irs? I would imagine there is more room in front of the diff for the turbo to sit on a non irs car?
L67PSI

Post by L67PSI »

It was a live axle. Not sure how much room would be available with IRS.

There is a YouTube video of a VR/VS V8 with a rear mount turbo. I'll try to find link.
IMA355-2

Post by IMA355-2 »

Have an opportunity to get my hands on a gt3576r off a fg xr6. Would it be ok on a 304 or hold out to find an gt3582r / gt35/40 off an earlier model ?
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

GTX3582R or similar (read bigger) mounted where second rear muffler goes on sedan (add mega heatshield, beanie and DynaMat under rear seat).

Cometic MLS .60 thou gaskets or similar, ARP everything as they don't have enough head bolts to hold much boost IMO.

Big ASR or High Energy sump with oil return.

TurboWerx Exa-Pump or rb racing brands for scavenge pump for oil return. (If closed system add small tank 300mls, vented next to turbo)

eBoost & TurboSmart etc etc 10-12psi max boost unless you want to be doing head gaskets every week. :cash: :thumbup:

Bigger injectors like ID1000 or similar, Walbro e85 or upgraded fuel pump.

Check out Griffy on YouTube for some inspiration :turbo: :turbo: :turbo:

(Search: GTS rearmount turbo or REAR mount turbo ~ CULPRIT Torana)

Looking forward to the updates here :D
vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Post by vlt304 »

not sure about rear mount but i have a china gt45 on my 304 witch is a bone stock vt roller cam engine i have never even had a rocker cover off it and it likes 10-12psi all day it does have a tame spark table on boost and is on the rich side 12.3-1 it only has 44lb bosch green injectors and a warlbro intank pump. it has been running this setup for a few years now with no head gasket dramas. ping is the killer dont let it ping and it will be good.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

All I would do is valvesprings every 304 I pull down has 40lbs of spring pressure on the seat and float easy with boost saves dropping a valve from valve bouncing.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
L67PSI

Post by L67PSI »

IMA355-2 wrote:Have an opportunity to get my hands on a gt3576r off a fg xr6. Would it be ok on a 304 or hold out to find an gt3582r / gt35/40 off an earlier model ?
I would give it a go. They are fairly compact and have a slightly smaller exhaust housing which is meant to be better for rear mount installs.

Here is a vid of a VY SS 5.7 with GT35 rear mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5gJ7fItbUw
IMA355-2

Post by IMA355-2 »

Good info thanx guys. I think I'll chuck in arp head studs and do the mains too, also valve springs and I wanna get rid of that stupid lifter cradle too so do the tie bar lifters and valve springs and head gaskets gaskets :D
Vlt304 what ecu are you running ? Maf or map tune ?
Thanx lads