$11P idle timing reverting to max

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

$11P idle timing reverting to max

Post by krusty »

Touching up a previously successfully tuned VS 5L on $11P after next round of mods and all of a sudden the idle timing has irreversibly reverted to max of 60 deg no matter what.

I played with the max allowable timing parameter to test where the timing figure is been derived from as well as comparing the tune on the car at the time of the issue arising to the tune the car drove in on no issue and also the original base tune with no bogus settings noted.

We've confirmed timing on the balancer as was originally timed to still been all good.

Any ideas or possible causes as to this based on experiencing same issues would be a help to trouble shoot further
Holden202T

Re: $11P idle timing reverting to max

Post by Holden202T »

are you saying the timing as seen with a timing light is 60 degrees or the data logging is showing it command 60 degrees ?

I wouldn't think it would run at all with 60 degrees even with 45 or more it would be on the next cylinder!
krusty

Post by krusty »

Holden202T wrote:are you saying the timing as seen with a timing light is 60 degrees or the data logging is showing it command 60 degrees ?

I wouldn't think it would run at all with 60 degrees even with 45 or more it would be on the next cylinder!
Timing light is spot on in diagnostic mode. Log shows 60 degrees and sounds like 60 degrees too. I adjusted the max allowable timing value to25 degrees until the issue is sorted out to keep idle values safe but the timing isn't following map and tps as per usual which leads me to believe some factor giving a base reference value is out and consistently so. It's concerning as the car is forced induction and erratic est isn't something we can get away with on this one lol
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Done a compare to a stock bin to check all changes are sane?
krusty

Post by krusty »

Dylan wrote:Done a compare to a stock bin to check all changes are sane?
Yep but have only done it 3 times so far haha.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

what about a stock bin on the nvram just to see if it fixes it ?
krusty

Post by krusty »

Holden202T wrote:what about a stock bin on the nvram just to see if it fixes it ?
Yep good call, first thing I tried. I also removed the DS1245Y and erased, re burned the original bas tune I started on months back to no avail
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Very odd, different ecm ?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I would also try a different PCM. There might be a fault with the IC that handles the spark control on the board.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Got a log and the bin? If you can limit timing to 25 in software to fix it its being calculated from somewhere.

Default TPS table? Charge or coolant temp advance table or bias term? Few places that can cause large overall timing offsets.