Vy v6 turbo

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
The1

Re: Vy v6 turbo

Post by The1 »

Wade wrote:Check that out. That’s the original pump I pulled out of it lol. I honestly haven’t seen a pump that bad before. I’m thinking the previous owner ran it on e10 or something similar
had been using a fuel with octane booster and some other nasty chemicals, Puma fuel is bad for it ATM.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Pump was replaced with an AC delco pump and power more than doubled. The car was one you did a tune for so I jumped in to help work out the issue as he was blaming the tune but I know your tunes are good and by that stage 3 stock engines died within days of each other. It was an ecotec converted VQ statesman, the guy replaced the pump just coz with a walbro from such and such authorized dealer. That was a flag to me as I know the rep of these fakes everywhere, so I suggested to replace it again with a stock AC pump. fixed the issue straight away, never had an issue again. Turned out it was a fake when I saw pics of it, there was a couple spots that were a give away.

There was a clear fuel starvation issue by the symptoms and how the engines were destroying pistons like it was going out of fashion. Was a process of elimination until it came to the pump, then he said he replaced it not long ago with a walbro. Bingo!

I didn't even have to get involved with tuning side of things as it was just basic and obvious mechanical process of elimination.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Wade
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Post by Wade »

I normally only run bp 98, shell or mobil.
Wade

Post by Wade »

Thanks Nigel I’ll check it out. VL400 I’ve been burned so many times with proflow’s products that I’ll never use any of the stuff again. Maybe the quality will get better over time, but after spending thousands on there parts I’ve lost faith in proflow
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Wasn't really recommending the proflow pump, just that the graph was amusing. Manages to supply more flow at higher pressures, with less current draw. Apparently :lol:
Wade

Post by Wade »

Yeah that doesn’t surprise me at all.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

What about running a fuel pressure gauge ? That should tell you if your fuel pump is dropping off.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

GTech needs an accurate weight to work out hp and no loss of traction.2nd gear is best so you don't end up dealing with aerodynamic drag .l67 injectors will be around maxed out on 8psi on a good flowing turbo gig
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
The1

Post by The1 »

vlad01 wrote:Pump was replaced with an AC delco pump and power more than doubled. The car was one you did a tune for so I jumped in to help work out the issue as he was blaming the tune but I know your tunes are good and by that stage 3 stock engines died within days of each other. It was an ecotec converted VQ statesman, the guy replaced the pump just coz with a walbro from such and such authorized dealer. That was a flag to me as I know the rep of these fakes everywhere, so I suggested to replace it again with a stock AC pump. fixed the issue straight away, never had an issue again. Turned out it was a fake when I saw pics of it, there was a couple spots that were a give away.

There was a clear fuel starvation issue by the symptoms and how the engines were destroying pistons like it was going out of fashion. Was a process of elimination until it came to the pump, then he said he replaced it not long ago with a walbro. Bingo!

I didn't even have to get involved with tuning side of things as it was just basic and obvious mechanical process of elimination.
No blame pointing, was a generic question as interested to know why pump was identified as the cause.

im paying close attention to injector dynamics pumps, once there available ill be testing on my bench and using them as im expecting top quality.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Wade wrote:Cheers mate. Yeah if big G can let me know that would be great
'Knock box' knock ears
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...