Boost timing

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Wade
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Boost timing

Post by Wade »

Does any one else start to bring timing back in once power starts to drop off under wot boost
delcowizzid

Re: Boost timing

Post by delcowizzid »

Lots just hold timing steady from when you reach max boost till the limiter works good but you can keep going up till resume on some engines some like less up top just experiment on the dyno there's a lot of power in just 2 degrees of timing when messing with boost
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Wade

Post by Wade »

Is it possible to set up a histogram table to monitor cylinder airflow vs rpm and just increase timing to see if cylair increases? Obviously keeping an eye on knock. Or is a dyno 100% needed
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Even on the dyno is risky but you can see the gain we gained 50hp from 2 degrees but gained a blown headgasket on one cylinder from 2 more degrees lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Wade

Post by Wade »

Well i just found my missing hp since changing over to e85 but now think im either maxing the fuel pump or airflow meter as she started leaning out
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

probably both.

What car is it?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Wade

Post by Wade »

Vy v6
Wade

Post by Wade »

The last log I recorded 10968.00hz and 288 g/s at 5625rpm. After I set timing flat from where torque drops off. This time I added an extra 2deg of timing under boost but didn’t get a good log. Did see it ran into the 14 afr’s at wot so I let off
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Yep if it leaned out its using the timing for good things lol
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

If it was VS or older I could recommend a pump model from aeromotive but I don't know what type of pump the VT onward cars use.

But this is the site, can vouch for these pumps being one if not the best in our testing. They are designed for E85 as well, seen years or track use on E85 with 0 faults.

Stay away from Walbro, they aren't bad its just its near impossible to get a guaranteed genuine one as the fakes are so identical looking now and outnumber the genuine one on the market probably north of 10 to 1.

Seen so many people kill engines due to fuel starvation because of "genuine" (mega emphasis on the quotation marks) walbro pumps. Like wise with bosch 044 pumps.

It could be this one?

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product/340-fuel-pump-gm/

Application guide.

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/wp-conten ... de2018.pdf
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.