Remote tuning

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Remote tuning

Post by oldn64 »

OK some might call me mad...BUT here is goes.

1. has anyone used the aldl modules which are bluetooth (or ELM for that matter) with the tuning software?
2. if so how reliable are they?

now the reason I ask. I was involved with a project a while ago that boosts bluetooth connections dramatically (ie pushes them to approx 6km, and yes it does work at Bathurst we have tested it :)) the reason we did this project is for sort of the same reason I am thinking about this project. we fly ultralights and race cars, what this gave us was a way to communicate via headsets without normal radio signals. This meant when flying we could communicate within our group or via the short wave to other pilots.

It gave us a huge advantage at the race track as well as we could communicate between the pit wall and the driver without ours listening in.

So I am thinking of trying to extend the project to have a data stream as well. this means that we could tune the car live as we race and allow use to dynamically adjust the burn and fuel rate to assist us on track position. Also means I could tune trackside without the danger of laptop and racing within a cabin.

Thoughts people?

I am also thinking of maybe being able to do tuning via a phone device. I will need to revisit the book to learn android programming again, BUT would look to port it across to iphone at some point as well. This will take a little bit as all my previous coding has been lost so I am sort of starting at ground level again. Seeing as there are already some great tools out there i dont see then need to redo these but a path to a droid or ios device might be worthwhile.

cheers
oldn64
delcowizzid

Re: Remote tuning

Post by delcowizzid »

There was some work on here using a Wi-Fi router with usb aldl cable plugged into it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

delcowizzid wrote:There was some work on here using a Wi-Fi router with usb aldl cable plugged into it
Hmmm, wouldnt have thought that a wireless connection would be strong enough to go the distance. Would be a pig to setup too considering the faradday's car it would be sitting in. but nice idea.....

cheers
oldn64
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

My approach would be an in car PC with carrier grade wifi or 4G internet. That way remote desktop or similar software could log in an control the PC and access the tuning/logging directly while the car is on the track. The bonus is the PC is capable of so much other stuff, like in car video feed, other I/O interfaces and sensor monitoring software, TFT display for driver info, telemetry and live engine data etc...

You can get small 12v powered PC for car entertainment purposes that use otherwise regular windows based PC.

The other thing it over comes is losses of packets and timing issues that wifi or internet can introduce that ALDL will not have a bar off, PC will act like a buffer, a mobile workshop computer is another way to look at it.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah the timing issues would be the main thing. First of all BT does not support user defined baud rates, so for ALDL you'd need to run 9600 so you'd ned sufficient buffers to handle large packets without over or underruns. The BT boost is also not very community friendly, its the same band as wifi and other stuff using the ISM 2.4Ghz band so to be pushing your signal out that far will interfear with other people trying to use it over short range in the pits etc, though you'll be unaware of that side effect, and they wont know its you that causing it. 3 or 4g mobile would save the anti social side of it, and having rdesktop to a car pc wired to the aldl bus would avoid any timing problems and it would be able to handle lost frames better.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Something like this would be ideal for a true track car. Just the sheer data acquisition and connectivity capabilities would be so handy for a race car.

https://www.attobus.com/index.php/files ... de6c5e76c5
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.