Weird tunerpro problem

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Weird tunerpro problem

Post by pman92 »

Hi guys,
Have found a weird problem with tunerpro today.
This isn't with a delco ECU, but with a ford ECU and using a J3 chip and programmer from tiperformance, but I think that is unrelated.

After installing tunerpro and attempting to get started on a particular windows 10 laptop, we couldn't get it to work.

When booting tunerpro or selecting initialize hardware, it detects "ostrich II v36.71.P".
Even with nothing connected to USB port it does this.
Tried uninstalling drivers in device manager and reinstalling tunerpro but no change.

Then tried on 2 other windows computers and both work fine, tiperformance programmer works fine. Hardware is correctly detected and no hardware detected if usb cable is disconnected.

It's like tunerpro detects this unknown ostrich device first (which is not physically connected) before it finds the usb connected tiperformance programmer.

This laptop does have other software on it, EFIlive etc.

How do we find what is interfering?

BTW a moates ostrich device has never been used on this laptop. (Googled it to find out an ostrich II is a real thing).

Cheers
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Weird tunerpro problem

Post by vlad01 »

I have had win 10 often detect and install USB drives as a keyboard or mouse a heap of times, similar thing with USB license dongles. Never had the problem under any other windows, only under 10.

So perhaps check the device manager and see if there is any phantom or misidentified USB devices that should not be there.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Is there a way to see exactly what device tunerpro is recognizing?
There's certainly no devices listed as an ostrich in device manager.
I did notice the tiperformance programmer was listed just as a "USB Serial port (COM x)" or something. There was a few of them with different COM ports. I uninstalled them all but made no difference.
I don't want to go uninstalling all sorts of things that I dont know what they are.
MrModule.com.au
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Since you had many USB to comm devices listed when they aren't meant to show unless plugged in, I would say windows is having a spaz and probably the cause of your problem.

I had these sorts of hardware issues on win 10 myself. I no longer use 10 and it was because of hardware issues I gave up on it.

I am not sure what you can do. If it was me I would wipe it and start again as that clearly shouldn't be listing devices that aren't there.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Sorry I should of added I had to select show hidden devices to see the other USB comm ports.

Might be a lost cause
MrModule.com.au
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

On mine it shows no adapters when I have nothing plugged up, even with show hidden devices. This is win 7

Like I said under 10 only I would often get USB drives come up as generic keyboard or human interface device. Shit me with no end. Often had my keyboard drop out for no reason too or my mouse go spastic when plugging in a license dongle.

Also 10 has a habit of blocking some drivers due to certification even if the vendor had certified drivers. I had a lot of this at work and needed to disable security options in the bios that then allowed to edit the registry in order to be able to use devices that it did install no probs in the first place then latter quietly disabled the driver itself with no warning or notification. Took me over a month to get the customers properly up and running just out of having to work out what was wrong (no messages) and next to no documentation on the net.

win 10 is generally terrible with anything prior to about 2015 hardware wise, drivers and weird hardware compatibility issues the main ones and the updates you can't turn off often break stuff.
device-man.PNG
device-man.PNG (58.38 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Look under ports com & lpt. The ostrich would normally be on a com port and 3rd party device drivers could add com ports for their own reasons that behave in a way that could cause something like this.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

pman92 wrote:Hi guys,
Have found a weird problem with tunerpro today.
This isn't with a delco ECU, but with a ford ECU and using a J3 chip and programmer from tiperformance, but I think that is unrelated.

After installing tunerpro and attempting to get started on a particular windows 10 laptop, we couldn't get it to work.

When booting tunerpro or selecting initialize hardware, it detects "ostrich II v36.71.P".
Even with nothing connected to USB port it does this.
Tried uninstalling drivers in device manager and reinstalling tunerpro but no change.

Then tried on 2 other windows computers and both work fine, tiperformance programmer works fine. Hardware is correctly detected and no hardware detected if usb cable is disconnected.

It's like tunerpro detects this unknown ostrich device first (which is not physically connected) before it finds the usb connected tiperformance programmer.

This laptop does have other software on it, EFIlive etc.

How do we find what is interfering?

BTW a moates ostrich device has never been used on this laptop. (Googled it to find out an ostrich II is a real thing).

Cheers

Hey pman,

Tunerpro should work on win10. I say should because I have not actually got my tuning stuff on win10 yet as my tuning laptop is still win7 and still a work in progress since my last laptop got stolen. Happy to look at this for your remotely if you need as I am sure we can find out what it is detecting or thinking it is without too much of an issue. The laptop will need to be connected to the internet for me to do it remotely. (i would use my tool set from my company so you know who it is an where they are (not that castlemaine is that far from me anyway though honestly Vlad is closer to you by approx 40klms. hehe.)

I am like Antus, what is in your ports listing as this might hold a key.

cheers
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

I have tunerpro on Windows 10 on my inside work desk happily talks to Holden ecus for hours
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah I do nearly everything on win 10 these days, definitely our software and tunerpro. Desktop and laptop. Win 10s not broken but something on that laptop sounds like it is.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396