vs v8 vortech

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
vscapricetim
cars: vs caprice

vs v8 vortech

Post by vscapricetim »

Hi all, finally got around to fitting the vortech v2 to my caprice and now its time to sort out the tune. Ive read the basic and advanced tuning guides and have adjusted the spark and fuel boost tables, ticked the 2 bar box and saved the bin. Now this is my first time changing the tune so I want to make sure I get the procedure right and not stuff anything up.

I have tuner pro 5, nvram installed in the ecu, im using ose_$11p v104 blcc v8 bin, ose_$11p v104 xdf and ose$11p v104 2bar adx (hope these are the right ones)

I have yet to pick up my injectors from my mate, pretty sure they are 60lb but I bought them that long ago I can quite remember. I have a wideband to install also.

I have started the car on the standard tune with standard map sensor and it idles fine. Now I have fitted the 2bar map sensor and it starts but wont idle for longer than 10sec.

Car is a 97 caprice v8 series 2 auto all standard apart from a 3in cat back exhaust. I want to get it to run enough so I can take it to my mates place to get an underfloor surge tank made to fit an 044 fuel pump which is only a few ks away. Once I get that sorted, injectors and wideband installed ill start tuning on the street.

Any help on the first move to change the tune and what to watch out for is greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Cheers
Tim
delcowizzid

Re: vs v8 vortech

Post by delcowizzid »

Did you set the map sensor flags correctly most people set the 2 flags wrong. If the map sensor is good and the flags are set right it should run like stock
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vscapricetim

Post by vscapricetim »

I had a little play yesterday afternoon and it wouldn't upload changes to the ecu, stupid me didn't put the jumper on read/write.... so now i have that sorted the 2bar flags are set and it idles like stock :punk: will look at the iac steps and idle timing today.

Will it need more fuel at idle because its forcing a lot more air in or will that only come into account when it starts to make boost?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah only on boost
vscapricetim

Post by vscapricetim »

Well ive finally got around to playing the caprice again! Its only been a couple of years :x

Anyway, ive installed the wideband but havent hooked it to the ecu yet. I had it idleing yesterday and everything seemed ok but its not reading the engine coolant temp but the dash gauge is working. Will this affect anything before i start playing with the tune? I understand it needs to be at operating temp before any changes need to be made.

Also, with realtime changes, if i change say idle timing (as an example) when i enter the number and hit save in that box has that changed it in the ecu or do i need to click the "upload current bin to emulator"?

Just want to make sure before i install my injectors and start changing the tune to suit.

Cheers
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yeah there are a number of tables that are against coolant temp, it will run without it but it will affect things and should be fixed.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vscapricetim

Post by vscapricetim »

Any idea where to look or at which sensor? Does the ecu take its reading from the same place as the dash?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

There is 2 sensors, one for dash and another for the ECU. The ECU one is the one with a blue injector type connector, dash is a small black spade like connector.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vscapricetim

Post by vscapricetim »

Cheers ill have a look this afternoon
vscapricetim

Post by vscapricetim »

I changed my injectors to 60lb and got it to idle ok, hooked the wideband up to the ecu and set the 0v and 5v numbers but it seems the ecu wideband is about 1.5 more than the gauge. Is there a way to change this or check it?