General Tuning Questions And Discussions
skidkid92
cars: 2002 Holden Vy Commodore
1996 Holden Vs Commodore (skidder)
2000 Mazda 121 metro

Post by skidkid92 »

Hi everyone. My name is Cameron and im from the Hunter Valley NSW. Im looking to get into tuning (not as a professional just for my own gains and projects), in both commodores and in falcons.

Im currently about to build a new burnout car and will be using a 3.8l ecotec out of a vt commodore into an 85 Nissan bluebird wagon. My plan is to build this as an alternative car while I rebuild my Toyota soarer. Id like to have this car tuned on methanol, for help to keep the engine cool but also for a bit of extra power. Id like to be able to tune the car trackside if need be, whether its to add a bit of fuel or a bit of timing. Im trying to figure out what the best way to do so will be. What will I require. I would prefer to just be able to plug a cable in to the car, and my laptop instead of removing the memcal. Id also like to be able to use it to log the burnout to see how the engine is performing and make any changes necessary. Im happy to take the car to get the tunes done the first time and the just change them as I require. I do have access to a dyno at our local tafe aswell, which one of the tafe teachers has actually got experience in tuning efi vehicles.

Has anyone on here played around with an ecotec on methanol before? What injectors should I be looking at getting or will the factory ones be okay. I already know that I will need to flush the entire fuel system each time the car is run on methanol. Which brings me to another question. Can I have 2 tunes saved on my laptop that can be switched in the car, one tune for the methanol and one for the petrol.

Thank you in advance to anyone able to help out.
:driving:
Holden202T

Re: Newbie

Post by Holden202T »

your definitely going to need bigger injectors for methanol, at least 60lb and a suitable pump to run it.

as for flushing the fuel system, i have personally found that it is not required, the big thing is to not let the fuel system go dry, ie. keep fuel in the tank and in the fuel rail and it will not corrode/gum up, having said that if you are going to park it up for 6 months then i'd differently recommend draining the methanol and putting e85 or petrol into it.

if your going to run an ecotec with an auto box, i'd try and find a VR Auto computer and loom, this will be your best option for tuning and getting rid of the MAF. it will also have the ability to map switch, and also have dual maps on the memcal for switching that way too.
and if you really want to get serious, shave the heads and get the comp up to about 14:1 then you'll really get good gains from methanol :driving:
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

You won't get anywhere near to that comp with ecotec without 3d domed pistons as their chambers are huge, I know first had what it took to get ecotec to 14:1+
If you go pre eco you can run flat tops and that will get close to about 15:1, they have chambers of 37cc,(VR 35cc) ecotec is 65cc.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

he's gotten his hands on a VR motor by the sounds of things!