Knock sensor going of its head

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
vp304

Knock sensor going of its head

Post by vp304 »

Thanks to you guys my vr with l67 swap is running great :)
Starts runs drives good hot cold. Have wideband set the mixtures and got them pretty good 14.7 on cruise and down to 11.5 to 12 afr on boost
Just one thing i cant get my head around is this knock sensor going off like crazy as soon as i go over say 35% throttle or so and put the car under any load.
At cruise it is no worries.
Have turned of knock sensor and tested 2 times and it rattles its head of so is genuine knock.
Checked plugs and is signs of knock.
Have taken timing outa boost map still knocks ?

Run down on car
l67 standard boost pulley
Vr knock sensor running vr ecu on 11p
180 thermostat
ported blower
Vs cold air intake
Shorty extractors single 2.5 inch exhaust
map sensor of lower intake manifold same as IAT sensor is mounted in lower intake manifold
runs on 91 fuel as daily driver work horse. (yes i know 98 would be good but not happening)

Do these l67s, not being intercooled with the crazy high 80c or so intake air temps im seeing, mean i have to pull even more timing out than what i have below?
As can be seen by the screen shots one point its not even on boost and knock sensor is going of ?
and the other screen shot is like maybe 3 psi of boost and under 50% throttle and knock city ?
Last edited by vp304 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Knock sensor going of its head

Post by vlad01 »

From what I heard/seen stock L67 and ecotec are pretty knock limited so I'm not that surprised really. I have only even tuned ecotecs that were modified and on race fuel or E85 so knock wasn't a problem but one thing for sure is they don't like much timing compared to the older Buick engines, 18-24º at 100Kpa iirc, even with bigger cams, I think stock is like 16-18º?

Meanwhile my older engines are running up around 27-29º. I recently did a boosted one and at about 160Kpa it's 24º but it is intercooled, doesn't have any audible knock but the owner is going to get that looked at when on the dyno to make sure it's good.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I just noticed your wideband is reading 20 AFR, even the O2 sensor is reading lean in the 1st pic.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vp304

Post by vp304 »

Thanks for the info vlad
that gauge does not do anything or move at all for wideband in tuner pro
Wideband im using is a innovate and just use the separate display that comes with the innovate. It is not wired into the delco at all.
Factory o2 sensor when i run in closed loop looks like its doing what it should be and i dont have any engine codes or trans faults in tuner pro so must all be working ok.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The L67 came from the factory tuned on 95ron fuel, running on 91 isn't recommended. These engines don't need a lot of timing to begin with and as you can see they run fairly hot IAT's. 91ron fuel on this combo is a recipe for disaster.
vp304

Post by vp304 »

Oh thought they were a 91 fuel engine.
Just see a lot of old timers driving L67 statesman's and Calais etc around towing trailers caravans. Couldn't imagine them running them on 95 all the time
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The ecotec is happy on 91, when you start adding boost you quickly become knock limited as you have discovered.
vp304

Post by vp304 »

Geez really gotta pull some timing. I may try get onto mates dyno and finish of tune there.
Thanks for the info
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

If your hearing detonation & know it's trying to pull timing even with knock sensors disabled I wouldn't go anywhere near a dyno!

Re-Enable knock sensors & start pulling timing until you stop hearing detonation for a start!
vp304

Post by vp304 »

I only turned knock sensor of and done 2 50 per throttle stabs and then turned them back on. They have been on from the start